Rip off Britain (Especially O2) Anyone else been conned?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I too have an old iPad that still works and a new iPad. It's the inevitable march of progress. Newer apps and features come out and they simply won't work with the old architecture.
The new iPad is so much much better than the old one. It's a sad fact that in the field of communication equipment change is constantly being driven forward.
Nokia with their 'One' range do at least promise you support for 2/3 years.
i just got my new laptop, untill the sprogs broke the old one i was perfectlyt happy with it but like you say the new one is so much better.
I think its ok to keep old devices as long as they do what you want , i only upgraded my phone at x mas as the old one`s screen had cracked again and a new screen was half the cost of a new phone so i bit the bullet

D

Deleted member 26715

I too have an old iPad that still works and a new iPad. It's the inevitable march of progress. Newer apps and features come out and they simply won't work with the old architecture.
Or has been proven with Apple that they deliberate wrote the code to slow the older machines down so encourage people to upgrade

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
No more "insane" than anyone else who indulges their "hobby" or "want". ;)
indeed i just had this discussion on a facefluff pag dedicated to a game i still play intermittantly , 15 year old mmog i can easily play on a laptop although some spend thousands on a rig i said i have another hobby cycling that i will spend on

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
I've just been looking at phones, had mishap this week :wacko:
Usually i'm sim only/buy a phone, but thought i'd check the maths vs contract phone with O2.
Phone is more expensive than i can buy sim free. The biggest downside is when you take out phone + airtime contract, the airtime rates are very poor & you're tied for 36months. Leaving the phone cost aside 36 month contract with phone 5gb data/unlimited minutes airtime is £19/month.
sim only 18 month 5gb data/unlimited minutes is £10/month. £324 overcharge over 3 years, O2 are very much trying it on with the unwary customer.
36 months is a long time

I don’t think I’ve ever had a phone last 3 years without issues.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Or has been proven with Apple that they deliberate wrote the code to slow the older machines down so encourage people to upgrade
It wasn't actually proven. They slowed them down to save the battery which would have have finished in double quick time with the new processing power.
Which ever way you cut it technology will always move forward and won't get stuck in the past.

D

Deleted member 26715

It wasn't actually proven. They slowed them down to save the battery which would have have finished in double quick time with the new processing power.
You say aluminium I say aluminium, it was proven that they deliberately wrote the software in such a way that the old processors would process the instructions more slowly than they were capable of, in my cynical view to encourage people to upgrade.

Drago

Legendary Member
Virgin here.
Surprising at your age, but we respect your life choices.

bagpuss

Guru
Had my first mobile t/p back in 2014 ,{long since out of contract ,} I still have the same one . Costs me under £6 a month . I think that it still to much as I hardly use it .Time to change to pay as you go me thinks .
Our old Tv last 15 years . Bought a new one last year,and it still has all the same crap showing as the old one did ....15 years ago .
Tv bundles offered by the main players are a total waste of money imho . At least 75 % of it is available on free view /free sat .A set top box/decoder is needed for free sat .Once the box was paid for savings worked out at about £70 a month .
Looking at changing boardband and land line supplier/contract as the stay with us offer is finishing .
As other have said you have to keep shopping round for the best deals . Customer loyalty seems to count for very little anymore .

newts

Veteran
36 months is a long time

I don’t think I’ve ever had a phone last 3 years without issues.
My current phone (galaxy s7) is almost 3 years old with battery life getting bad. This week it got dropped managed to bounced out of its case in the bid for freedom & cracked the glass. The last 2 have been sim free from Argos, which is 10 minutes away by bike for collection.

DRHysted

Guru
Why pay for unlimited data unless you are one of the saddoes walking around with eyes glued to a screen. Every shop, pub, hotel and place where the public are (or were) allowed into has free wifi.
You certainly don't need any data at all when you are riding your bike.
Nobody needs to be in touch with every passing word that is posted anywhere on the interweb. The few that do need it for business and employers will pay.
Personally I would never log into an unknown network, and I’d advise everyone else the same.

Virgin media. Upgraded my broadband from 100mbps to 350mbps for £1 per month (not a misprint) and they also gave me a free SIM with unlimited calls, texts and 40Gb of data each month. Overall saved £8 a month as I was able to cancel my contract with Smarty (who are definitely worth a look)

Top Bottom