RIP Robin Williams

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Inertia

I feel like I could... TAKE ON THE WORLD!!
I freakin' hate Russell Brand, but at least he's put a coherent and challenging set of musings together, rather than just a bland and meaningless single sentence about the fact that the guy's died.
If you are referring to the sentence in my post I guess you missed the article I linked to which it is quoted from.

Maybe you should start a thread about that rather than hijack this thread though

Cyclist33

If you are referring to the sentence in my post I guess you missed the article I linked to which it is quoted from.

Maybe you should start a thread about that rather than hijack this thread though

No it was nothing to do with your post so don't get defensive. I was referring in general to the glut of sententious messages all over Facebook and certain, er, fora.

Inertia

I feel like I could... TAKE ON THE WORLD!!
No it was nothing to do with your post so don't get defensive. I was referring in general to the glut of sententious messages all over Facebook and certain, er, fora.

no worries but you were pretty dismissive of what I quoted so thought you were referring to it here. The quote I posted was from someone who did had direct experience of the issue so I took issue with "Another typically banal and pompous pronouncement by someone without any credibility."

Cyclist33

[QUOTE 3229805, member: 45"]Because it does. The right question to ask is why we need a death to open up the discussions around mental illness.

When it happens to someone close to you it brings the issue home. With celebrities, like it or not, we form a kind of relationship with them. So when things like this happen it does feel closer to home, and becomes more real. People think about what's happened, and the words that you incorrectly and disrespectfully label as banal and pompous are a natural response to this.

A swollen-bellied African child on a TV screen ellicits a completely different response to a swollen-bellied African child in front of you. Which is why these "linked" celebrities are sent over to crisis areas to form a link between the issue and the public.

It's a shame that you have such a problem with an activity which helps people.[/QUOTE]

Thank you - a sensible answer at last!!

Top Bottom