RIP Robin Williams

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AndyRM

XOXO
Haven't seen one of my favourite performances of his mentioned - Batty in Ferngully: manic genius!

A sad loss.

AndyRM

XOXO
[QUOTE 3226422, member: 45"]The World According to Garp. One of the most bizarre but entertaining films I've ever seen.[/QUOTE]

Bloody hell, I never realised they'd filmed that! I'll have to look out a copy.

I always found his serious stuff a bit schmaltzy and his silly stuff a bit, erm silly...

That said, there was no doubting his talent, and Dead Poets was still a loody good film.

Not forgetting he could cover a great range of characters very well. He was startlingly good in this - As it says on the cover "truly deeply scary"
one_hour_photo_9321.jpg

AndyRM

XOXO
[QUOTE 3226526, member: 45"]I've not read the book. It looks like I need to.[/QUOTE]

It features bears, wrestling, New England and questionable sexual relationships. One of Irving's best. Cider House Rules, Hotel New Hampshire and 158 Pound Marriage are also well worth reading.

jazzkat

Fixed wheel fanatic.
He was an amazingly gifted person. A huge talent with a great range of serious acting ability as well as a gift for stand up and improvisational comedy. He was also as entertaining to children as he was to adults, something quite rare in a lot of comics I think.
I know I haven't seen all his films, but I can't think of one that I have seen and not enjoyed.
Such a sad way for his great adventure to come to an end.
RIP

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
[QUOTE 3226422, member: 45"]The World According to Garp. One of the most bizarre but entertaining films I've ever seen.[/QUOTE]
my personal favourite of his.

never a big fan myself, but he was a legend of his art, and to be such a clown comic in some filmsand be able to play some quite dark characters in others shows the genius of the man…

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
He was my second favourite member of TakeThat after Gary Barlow. Angels is a classic.

EDIT- oh sorry robin not robbie Williams.

AndyRM

XOXO
Didn't all his books? I got tired of them in the end, but Garp was the best, closely followed by A Prayer for Owen Meany.
Sorry for tangent, but to be fair Williams did this all the time :smile:.

They did indeed, and like you say became chores to read.

I've bought a copy of the film to watch at the weekend. Be interested to see if they've got the atmosphere of the book across, and how Williams is as Garp as I really can't imagine it.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
I never liked his schmaltzy stuff very much, and I recognized rather too much of my own depressive nature in his manic comedy to find it truly funny. However, as a serious actor, he could be very good indeed. One Hour Photo is up there with the best of the films made in the area I study (surveillance and privacy etc.), and has anybody else seen The Butler? Williams played President Eisenhower, and however brief the appearance, it was a superb example of how to play a prominent real life character almost in the background of an ensemble piece. RIP.

Top Bottom