RIP Threads

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
Is not general news of a death actually news, and therefore subject to agreed sanction herein, unless some cycling angle can be wrought?

I'm not bothered about death per se as a subject: however, RIPs here do have a rather "middle aged" feel (I.m.h.o.). In an increasingly secular society, the abbreviation, though a recognised shorthand, is irrelevant.

Who misses news of the freshly departed in these digital days?

Maybe we should have a thread where the work, opinions, life, writing, art, struggle etc of a person can be shared while they are alive?

Have to agree. We euphemise far too much.

So some euphemism is OK? Who sets the optimum level for euphemisms?

Terms such as “my father passed away“ or “she recently lost her husband“ are vague and discouraged in some situations.

Whats wrong with ‘my father died’ or ‘her husband died recently’.

Nothing at all. Some people think there is nothing wrong with "passed away". It's a funny old world.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Leaving aside the terminology used, I can't see any harm in these threads. Generally it's an opportunity to indulge in a bit of nostalgia, remembering the heyday of the person who has died*, considering the significance of their achievements, or just saying that they were a bad 'un all along and that everything they did was rubbish.

* Passed away/ passed on/ passed/ deceased/ popped their clogs/ bought the farm ...

classic33

Leg End Member
Surely the respect (and language used therefore), should be out of respect for the living ... the dead don't care....
The living can speak, the dead can't defend themselves.
"Never speak ill of the dead" seems to be disappearing.

We should respect the living, and the views of the family and friends of the dead. Not impose our opinions/views on how they handle things. You don't agree with them, don't say so. We're all different in beliefs and how we handle death.

Surely the respect (and language used therefore), should be out of respect for the living ... the dead don't care....

Mostly I think that's right [although I do have an archaic tendency to not diss the dead. dude]

I understand @Ian H 's viewpoint - but I do disagree. If he came to a funeral and insisted on saying ".... your wife died / sorry your brother died ... etc", I would NOT take offence. But if he told me - or indeed anyone else present - that WE should not use a particular phrase about our loved one...
Well .. he might find himself on the street quite smartish!

That's fair enough.

I take a different position.

Without euphemism we lose poetry, interesting stories well told, comedy and lots of other art.

A euphemism can often be the start of a difficult conversation.

I suppose the real measure of euphemism lies with the intention of the user.

A euphemism that lifts spirits or eases pain? I struggle to see a problem.
A euphemism that disguises a problem? Troubling.
A euphemism that deliberately misleads? That's not good.

It's easy to announce online that I'm a straight talking, say it as it is kind of person. Online isn't the real world and I'd really hope that the straight talkers understand that and realise that sometimes straight talking can be .... unhelpful. (That's a euphemism ^_^)

There is a time and a place. And an audience. Online, we can never be sure of our audience.
Oh, I agree, I meant too much euphemism not that we should use none.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
My sister is the sort of person who would use "sadly passed away" to anyone outside the close family group. She tries so hard not to "offend" people that actually she sounds weirder than if she's just being herself. She's always been like it, and has always had this false sense of "I'd better not say that in case it offends someone". She's just started to have counselling and her counseller said she suffers from acute perfectionism. So I think it's a very British thing to talk on egg shells so as not to upset the Jones's, but in this day and age especially just sounds antiquated and forced.

I used to suffer from the same thing. And my mate once mimicked me by saying if I liked carrots, instead of just saying I like carrots, I'd say "I like carrots.....NOTHING AGAINST BROCCOLI"

D

Deleted member 1258

So some euphemism is OK? Who sets the optimum level for euphemisms?

Nothing at all. Some people think there is nothing wrong with "passed away". It's a funny old world.

I prefere the term passed away to someones dead or someone has died, it doesn't sound as harsh. around here passed away is more likely to be used than someones died.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom