RIP Threads

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

winjim

Smash the cistern
I've nothing against them in principle but there does seem to me to be a trend of wanting to be the first to post the news, often without even saying anything about the person in question. I do find that a bit goulish TBH.

Just stick em on ignore as they pop up. NBD.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
In before the lock.

RIP this thread

#Prayforthreads

Why do people feel the need to post RIP threads?
A quick, not thorough search suggests that the most recent RIP thread was posted by myself.

It referred to a woman who is highly regarded for her travel writing and who is considered an inspiration by many for travelling on a bike - myself included.

It was posted in the Touring & Adventure forum because I thought that's where it was most suited.

As to why I posted?
I thought it would be of interest to people interested in touring and given the fact that she is not British coverage of her passing may not exist.

@Ian H RIP may well be an idiotic term to you but to me it signifies a certain amount of respect.

Similarly with "passed away". I see it as a gentler way of saying that someone died.

Nothing wrong with trying to be respectful and gentle in my world.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
A quick, not thorough search suggests that the most recent RIP thread was posted by myself.

It referred to a woman who is highly regarded for her travel writing and who is considered an inspiration by many for travelling on a bike - myself included.

It was posted in the Touring & Adventure forum because I thought that's where it was most suited.

As to why I posted?
I thought it would be of interest to people interested in touring and given the fact that she is not British coverage of her passing may not exist.

@Ian H RIP may well be an idiotic term to you but to me it signifies a certain amount of respect.

Similarly with "passed away". I see it as a gentler way of saying that someone died.

Nothing wrong with trying to be respectful and gentle in my world.
Sorry, but just... no. Deal with the reality. You can still have respect.

iandg

Legendary Member
"RIP" is an idiotic term. They're not resting, they're dead. See also 'passed away' or (even worse) 'passed'.

I sort of agree but having managed a mortuary for 10 years and worked with undertakers and bereaved families they are terms I can live with and am comfortable using. Talking to a friend I will say that so and so has died but in dealing with general public ( and posting on forums) I will use terms like passed away and RIP.

Last edited:
Sorry, but just... no. Deal with the reality. You can still have respect.

Reality? What's that?

Where's the line between someone dying in agony or passing away?
I'm pretty sure I know which term brings the most peace to those left behind. I know which term I prefer.

There is a difference between having respect and showing respect.

I was showing respect.

On a website where communication is only via text with little tone and no other indications of meaning I'd rather err on the side of caution.

Christ! This place is becoming less and less friendly by the day

classic33

Leg End Member
Reality? What's that?

Where's the line between someone dying in agony or passing away?
I'm pretty sure I know which term brings the most peace to those left behind. I know which term I prefer.

There is a difference between having respect and showing respect.

I was showing respect.

On a website where communication is only via text with little tone and no other indications of meaning I'd rather err on the side of caution.

Christ! This place is becoming less and less friendly by the day
The Irish have what is considered an odd way of dealing with death. Wakes, where the body of the deceased is "on show" in the house, are still commonplace. Never been to one over here.

I've a feeling that sitting in a room, with an open coffin, would make most folk uncomfortable.

There's nothing wrong with showing some respect to the deceased.

Top Bottom