rixon racer found.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pubrunner

Legendary Member
Does the bike look anything like this Rixon ? :whistle:

DSC08309.jpg

DSC09980.jpg

Attachments

• DSC08309.jpg
    DSC08309.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 102
  • DSC09980.jpg
    DSC09980.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 84

pubrunner

Legendary Member
its in really good condition. its got omega v wheels and shimano 105 gear through out.

Does it have track dropouts at the rear ?

Does your bike have rear brakes ?

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
photo[1].jpg

guys this is the Rixon we are discussing best pic i could get to upload for howdieman .

no matter what we all say its still a very nice bike

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Nice bikes Rixons - was a regular in Rick's shop for years ! His son Paul ran the shop - he was a good wheel builder.
Still is, afaik :smile:

I've not been in since we moved away really, but they still had frames hung up with "Rixon" as the branding last time I was in.

Looks like a nice bike to me.

OP
OP
H

Howiedman

Cheers for putting the picture on. It has gears so it's not a track bike and it also has 105 brakes on the back. Looked it up to be the 753 road model as far as I can see. The bit which the wheel slots into they are the other way round to the yellow bike and mine have a little threaded rod in each bit as well ! Gonna pump the tyres up tonight and take her for a ride if it not too cold then make my mind up if to keep or eBay her !

Chris-H

Über Member
Nice bike and welcome to the forum mate,just to echo what others have said,use the bike and enjoy it,just by changing the bars and (if wanting to ) adding bar mounted thumb shifters you wont be de-valuing the bike at all as you only ever need to keep the bits you've taken off,then if you do decide its not for you spend an hour putting the original bits back on with some fresh bar tape and sell it,seems a shame to sell it when you can enjoy it yourself,i have a drop bar road bike and an old 80's road bike which has been converted to hybrid and to be honest i prefer my hybrid,its old and a bit battered but goes like stink and is very comfortable.And its retro :thumbsup:

Looks like it might be a rebranded Raleigh, there are a lot of Tube Industries era frames floating about with various shops name on.

OP
OP
H

Howiedman

All the research I've done does say it's a rixon. Rixons have only 3mm gap between the rear wheel and the frame which this one does ! God hope I don't ride over any stones or mud as will get jammed for sure !

pubrunner

Legendary Member
All the research I've done does say it's a rixon.

I think that you might be interested in this link . . .

http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php/555832-What-Tubing

Note, especially, the serial number - which appears to be the same as on your bike !

On the face of it, someone has taken a track bike; changed the rear dropouts, added a rear brake bridge and shifter mounts on the downtube. And then, resprayed it; the bike looks quite unlike it did 2.5 years ago - when it was in Turkey !

IF it is 753, the rear dropouts will be wider than they should be, due to having gears, where previously there were none. 753 tubing should not be spread (it won't coldset - it'd spring back into place). I wonder if the frame is 531sl or 531pro.

It will be a 'good' tubeset; frankly I'd keep it. It has an interesting history - Rixons are rare bikes and I've only ever seen one in the flesh.

I can't answer the 'mystery' of the frame number, but I'm certain it is the same bike. You mentioned that it belonged to a guy who bought a Lambo Countach; well on the link that I've given you, you'll see that his user name was 'Miura' - wich is also the name of a Lambo which came out before the Countach.

The story kind of 'fits'; apart from the alterations and the respray (why??). If it'd been left as it was, it be worth at least double imo - it certainly had a very high 'bling' value; the hipsters would love a bike like that.

Anyone else got a better explanation ? Was R131 put on all Rixon frames ?

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
it might be the type number stamped on the bottom bracket by its maker ?

i cant see it being the same bike , he might have owned more than 1 bike its not unusual

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
have just blown the pics up sent to me and the lugwork detail does not look the same on both bikes , especially around the head stock area and a;so fork crown one is external the other is internal , so ihmo not same bikes .

but i could be wrong

OP
OP
H

Howiedman

Good investigation work. It's not the same bike tho as this bike has been sitting up in my friends shed for the last 10 years ! It has got a serial number on the bottom which is r155??? I think. Will check later. Took it out for a spin last night and it's sooo smooth and bloody fast ! The lady I brought it off told me yesterday her x husband used to race all over with it the first year he had it, even in France she said! Tour de France !? Ha...you never know!

Top Bottom