RLJ cyclist. Why risk it?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Errrr........technically you jumped a red light by going in front of the white line to stop, there being no ASL there. So the question is also should you have filtered to a position that forced you to RLJ or should you have waited back? Legally you both broke the law so why go hard on the other guy for breaking it in a different way. As far as I could see, there was no actual traffic he was in conflict with.

And please note, I do not RLJ but it just seems a bit of pot and kettle on your behalf plus usually when cyclists do RLJ they tend to cross the junction as a pedestrian would i.e. with regard to other traffic. as appeared to happen here.

400bhp

Guru
so anyone that hurts or kills themself chasing a strava segment is the responsibility in some capacity of anyone else on that segment faster than them and Strava (or whatever other comparative system) for giving them the means of finding out?

No, that would be silly.

AndyPeace

2111427 said:
I occasionally engage in a spot of commuter racing with another cyclist who will always eventually jump a light to settle it. I have on occasion found myself wondering about the extent to which I would feel responsible if it ends badly for him.

Oooh that looked really risky in the video, scary stuff.

I would guess that rider has jumped that light on a daily basis for ages and wasn't racing the OP at all.

I do belive there are two conversations here!, the video was posted by BlackPanther, not Adrian, who's post promted the 'conciousness debate'. We have no video in this thread of the 'racing' Adrian did with the unknown rider. Regardless, the rules should be the same for all road users and if your saying its safe to jump red lights then it should be acceptable for moterbikes, cars and lorries to do the same?

Regardless, the rules should be the same for all road users and if your saying its safe to jump red lights then it should be acceptable for moterbikes, cars and lorries to do the same?

The rules are already the same and nobody is saying RLJing should ever be acceptable for motorbikes, cars and lorries AND cyclists.

I do it and I don't need yours or others acceptance of what I consider a relatively safe thing to do and if caught I expect to be fined under the same rules as all other road users.

Regardless, the rules should be the same for all road users and if your saying its safe to jump red lights then it should be acceptable for moterbikes, cars and lorries to do the same?

And if you are going to ignore the different characteristics of the different vehicles like that then perhaps one should say that pedestrians should obey traffic lights too.

AndyPeace

And if you are going to ignore the different characteristics of the different vehicles like that then perhaps one should say that pedestrians should obey traffic lights too.

Yes I aspect pedestrians to wait for the green man before crossing the road :tongue: Often in not doing so they cause accidents!
@ Whereas I accept other vehichiles have different characteristics, the roads work best when they are predictible, If you enter a line of traffic from a junction they assume is stopped, then they are going to be surprised, wether that risks saftey is debateable... wether it reduces predicitibility is not ;)

AndyPeace

2114183 said:
There is a difference though. Pedestrians have no legal obligation to wait for the green man and plenty of reason not to.

Curious do you think rlj is the way to go? your OP implied that you stopped at the lights, perphaps I misread this?

Top Bottom