RLJ makes me mad...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arch

Married to Night Train
cupoftea said:
Did I read somewhere that the police don't count it as jumping a red within 3 seconds of it turning?

That sounds unlikely and stupid. Also, open to stretching. Next it'll be fine as long as it's within 3 seconds of 3 seconds of turning...

No, come to think of it, it can't be true. Because as I recall, you are supposed to stop at the amber, if it's safe to do so, before it's even red.

(goes away to do a check)

Arch

Married to Night Train
Yes, to quote, "Amber means stop at the stop line' You may go on only if the amber appears after you have crossed the stop line, or are so close to it that to pull up might cause an accident"

So I very much doubt the idea that it's Ok if you've only just brushed over the red, because to do so, you'll have also ignored the amber...

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
I thought it was just a survey of drivers jumping red where this '3 second' thing came from. For the purposes of that particular survey that was the limit. Seems to have got into the 'folklore' since

Cab

I think its more that Plod don't bother with drivers who have just gone through 'as it turned red', even though they're the ones who tend to be accelerating because the light is amber and are therefore imposing more risk on others than a motorist who cautiously goes through a red light looking both ways...

[look at me]Im in Hong Kong.Why are people nicer here?[/look at me]

Bloke whacked me with his bag in a 7/11 the other day.I was in London mode so I ignored it.He apologized and by the way he looked at me I think he was expecting some sort of (aggressive) retort but I just said no problem.

Some kid in a shopping queue let me go first and apart from making me feel like an old fart I thought it was very nice.

Virtually everywhere I visit the people seem nicer than England.

Cyclists round here seem to have old bikes and very few rljers.

Elmer Fudd

Miserable Old Bar Steward
gambatte said:
I thought it was just a survey of drivers jumping red where this '3 second' thing came from. For the purposes of that particular survey that was the limit. Seems to have got into the 'folklore' since

I don't know if it is still the same but a few years ago in Brum (thinking Bristol Rd South here) as the moving traffics lights turned from green to amber, the statoinary traffics lights turned from red to amber. Had a few close shaves then !!
Hence the old TV ad "don't be an amber gambler".

peejay78 said:
hasn't this thread cropped before?

Have drivers jumped red lights before...

No the problem is not RLJing in England.The problem with discipline is.

Just to bore you lot again there is a big problem is lack of policing IMHO.

I was in a bar in [look at me]Hong Kong[/look at me] the other night and about twenty police came in and as far as could work out through my drunken haze they were all carrying guns.I was told this place is one of the safest places to be and there isn't a lot to deny that fact.

Even though we have a lot of CCTV the pc brigade seem to let the scumbags run riot.(also not enough policing)

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
Sitting on the bus coming home tonight, I got a great view of all the cyclists who gave us all our bad reputation:

Cycling across pedestrian crossings when the traffic light's at red ?
Check.

Weaving about through traffic in the dark wearing black with no lights on the bike ?
Check.

Swerving around the bus and the cars in front waiting at lights, wee legs going like the clappers causing terribly unstable-looking wobbling and then streaking across through oncoming traffic at the junction we were sitting 'cos the lights were red ?
Check.

Undertake / overtake / pull in / pull out without even looking behind you at any point ?
Check.

I don't know - these people obviously have no fear, or do not know the pain of being hit by something much bigger and harder at speed. I could see people in their cars shaking fists / shaking heads / flashing lights and hear horns being sounded. No doubt they're noting what selfish / dangerous / RLJ'ing / non-light-using cyclists those twunts are, ready to tar the rest of us with the same etc etc etc etc.

Numpty cyclists. We need Magnatom to appear, a-la Green Cross Code Man, saying "STOP !!" and pointing out to them the error of their ways. "Always use the Cyclecraft Code, 'cos I won't be there when YOU hit the road !"

:biggrin:

OP
OP
M

magnatom

goo_mason said:
Numpty cyclists. We need Magnatom to appear, a-la Green Cross Code Man, saying "STOP !!" and pointing out to them the error of their ways. "Always use the Cyclecraft Code, 'cos I won't be there when YOU hit the road !"

I appear to be gaining something of a reputation!:biggrin: Honest I am just a mild mannered janitor......:biggrin:

domtyler

Über Member
goo_mason said:
Sitting on the bus coming home tonight, I got a great view of all the cyclists who gave us all our bad reputation:

Cycling across pedestrian crossings when the traffic light's at red ?
Check.

Weaving about through traffic in the dark wearing black with no lights on the bike ?
Check.

Swerving around the bus and the cars in front waiting at lights, wee legs going like the clappers causing terribly unstable-looking wobbling and then streaking across through oncoming traffic at the junction we were sitting 'cos the lights were red ?
Check.

Undertake / overtake / pull in / pull out without even looking behind you at any point ?
Check.

I don't know - these people obviously have no fear, or do not know the pain of being hit by something much bigger and harder at speed. I could see people in their cars shaking fists / shaking heads / flashing lights and hear horns being sounded. No doubt they're noting what selfish / dangerous / RLJ'ing / non-light-using cyclists those twunts are, ready to tar the rest of us with the same etc etc etc etc.

The difference is that those people didn't harm anyone apart from raising the blood pressure of a few porky car drivers. In the mean time another ten people have been killed on the roads by motorists today throughout the UK as well as around 650 seriously injured.

Top Bottom