RLJ or no RLJ ???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

potsy

Rambler
Can't see any reason to RLJ there mate,you wouldn't do it in a car so why should a cyclist be any different.
As for long waits at lights my longest is 2-3 mins crossing over the busy A34,I use it as a rest stop.
I have walked my bike across lights before now but normally it's on those that refuse to change to green for anything smaller than a car:angry:

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Red means stop. Wait for green, then go, but stay wide, don't hug the kerb.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
User3143 said:
If you are turning left and only left then RLJ, correct me if I'm wrong but are'nt the DfT looking at running a trial doing this down in London?

to the latter part, yes. a very bad idea in my mind. so many people already stop in the ASL, which means that any cyclist making there way to the front are often stuck next to cars. which is NOT a good idea. but being able to turn left on red means more people are going to push to the front to make their left turn, but are going to take risks getting there. and i bet a few people will join whilst traffic is going across, possibility of injuries from cars braking to avoid and other cars going into the back and of course cyclists being hit by cars.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
hackbike 666 said:
I don't think I have ever wheeled my bike through traffic lights just because I can't be patient and wait for a change.

I do but usually only when I'm running very late to pick up my son and the junction is gridlocked by cars not leaving the junction clear. I did it twice last week but normally I would just wait. Thinking about one of the times it wasn't even a junction but outside a secondary school and parents had almost blocked the path as well as the road - so I had difficulty walking as well.

if the USA can do right turn on red successfully and have done for years, there's no reason why the UK can't implement left turn on red here. and should do. it's no different to turning left at a junction that doesn't have lights, the same principle applies. look, and proceed when safe to do so.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
User3143 said:
:laugh: The above points to very poor positioning on the part of the cyclist. Learn to adapt, would you not take primary in the above situation?

How are cars going across? Across from where? They are turning left not right

It's very well saying learn to adapt. but i'm not sure many cyclist will do, i often see people undertaking large vehicles including bus's and HGV's.

My statement was a generalisation of cross road junctions and was not meant to reference the original post.

jimboalee

What I and most others do in the States is - roll up to the junction looking for approaching cars from the left, track-stand for 2 - 3 seconds; and if there's no vehicles, lay on the torque and smoke the tyres away off up the right turn.

There are some junctions that have a little white sign with small black lettering which says "No turn on red". They are easily missed.

Top Bottom