RLJ Police

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cab

atbman said:
This does sound rather like radar gun "victims" complaining about the police not chasing real criminals and they only speed when it's safe to do so.

On the face of it, yes, it does. Yet there is a crucial difference; speeding harms people. Measurably, seriously, and frequently. Cyclists RLJing doesn't. So a cyclist being collared for this can rightly say 'but its doing no real harm', whereas a speeding motorist can't.

Even tho' I agree that drivers RLJ far more dangerously than cyclists, since they do it at speed, whereas riders generally choose a "safe" gap to go thro'

Don't get me wrong, in principle I'm totally in favour of stopping RLJing cyclists. I just can't see any reasonable justification for spending money and resources on something that should rationally be so far down the list.

spindrift

I agree with both sides, we can't complain about being caught fair and square but the policing is partisan.

Wolf04

mr_cellophane said:
A couple of cycle coppers and a PC on the corner of Norton Folgate and Bishopsgate this morning. They are catching cyclists RLJ coming from Shoreditch and handing out notices to bikes who stop in the ASL box(didn't see a car do it).

I thought the purpose of ASLs was to allow cyclists a safe zone at junctions? Why would they be handing out warnings?:smile:

OP
OP
mr_cellophane

mr_cellophane

Legendary Member
Wolf04 said:
I thought the purpose of ASLs was to allow cyclists a safe zone at junctions? Why would they be handing out warnings?:smile:
My terminology
cycle = man powered 2 wheeled vehicle
bike = machine powered 2 wheeled vehicle

They have gone now.
They were stopping people going from Norton Folgate in to Bishopsgate, which isn't that unsafe as the road you cross is a dead end at present. One cyclist came down Norton Folgate and turned right through a red light. He got away with that although it is very unsafe as traffic turns out of Liverpool Street Station. :rolleyes:

Animal

No, certainly, I don't do it, and if you jump a red light and are caught, then tough. You weren't "trapped", it's not a "stealth tax". Do the crime, do the time.

But the police have limited resources, and where do they allocate them? To where public safety is being put seriously at risk by the dangerous, reckless, or outright aggressive operation of heavy machinery? Do they f-uck!

MERV

Even tho' I agree that drivers RLJ far more dangerously than cyclists, since they do it at speed, whereas riders generally choose a "safe" gap to go thro'

Doesn't make it right.

I've seen some dodgy RLJing anyway because some of these people haven't got a clue.

MERV

I think the police just have a purge.Isn't it normally for speeding motorists?

Perhaps if we just had more police then this wouldn't be a problem.
I notice the Spanish and Japanese dont have a problem.

Wolf04

MERV said:

Doesn't make it right.

I've seen some dodgy RLJing anyway because some of these people haven't got a clue.

Agree and get the feeling cyclists are an easier target to pull over than cars without London grinding to a halt.

yorkshiregoth

Master of all he surveys
I had to call an ambulance today 'cos some bloke had a bad headache. Anyway, the first paramedic to arrive was a cycle one. He cycled through a shopping centre, and through my (very smooth) tiled ticket hall to get to his patient. A bit naughty if you ask me, as other customers were having to dash out of his way. Not sure what the old bill would have made of that one????

Top Bottom