RLJer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
summerdays said:
there is a mental barrier that means I hit the brakes.
much better than a car barrier, and hitting that...:wacko:

I managed 26mph this morning on a very slight downwards slope. 2 lanes of traffic and traffic approaching from behind trying to overtake... felt a bit hairy, but don't think it was much to do with the speed... more the cars that try to overtake but neglect to really pull wide to do so. Muppets.

Maz

Guru
domtyler said:
:wacko:
...and I'm still in my twenties....in hex.

I don't think 42 mph feels all that fast (and this is in traffic as well) I would go faster on this section but there's a roundabout and a speed camera where all the cars jam their brakes on, so I have to slow down. Pity 'cause I'd really like to see how fast the bike will go!

Arch

Married to Night Train
summerdays said:
Get yourself a computer even I can manage 26 mph going downhill - (but only 5 mph going the opposite way:blush:), and I could probably go faster but there is a mental barrier that means I hit the brakes.

yup, 29 is the fastest I've ever been on two wheels. Happily managed over 33 on the trike, but on two wheels, no thanks...

Tynan

Veteran
42mph with something in reserve, in traffic?

bloody hell is all I can say, didn't know bikes went that fast on anything other than hills

I don't know what the factors are, tarmac conditions, bike ? but the max I've hit on the dropped bar road bike is 47.6mph and its regularly in the high 30's downhill and don't think its fast. With my flat bar road bike it usually hits a max of 30-35 mph usually due to me chickening out and applying the brakes. The commuter hybrid only really max's at 28-30mph.

Tynan

Veteran
I'll get up to 30 on two long hills and I'm happy with the speed as regards riding but I do get worried about peds and side roads, I can only assume you lot are riding on roads that allow that speed safely, not sure its the case on my chances to go vaguely quick

Cab

HLaB said:
The commuter hybrid only really max's at 28-30mph.

I struggle to get far above 30mph on the flat on the hybrid. Partly thats because I never seem to have a good run to accelerate without hitting traffic, lights, etc, and partly 'cos thats as fast as my legs will take me on one of those bikes :blush:

Cab

Tynan said:
I'll get up to 30 on two long hills and I'm happy with the speed as regards riding but I do get worried about peds and side roads, I can only assume you lot are riding on roads that allow that speed safely, not sure its the case on my chances to go vaguely quick

There are only a couple of roads I regularly use where I'm happy to really push the speed.

Top Bottom