RLJer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Maz said:
Hehe, sounds like they jumped the red to spare their embarassed red faces.

28mph...how easy/difficult is that albeit on a downhill? What bike you got, man? Never had a computer on my bike but I do sometimes wonder how fast I'm going on downhills when I'm flat out.

I find that I can freewheel down hill at that speed, when there are no car to get in the way and slow me down...

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
I think if you fit a computer you'll be surprised - the Sigma one I use (BC1606L) is easy to set up, and was pretty cheap (£15ish from an ebay seller called GearGurl). I believe you can get a 2nd bike kit (and the unit can be programmed with two wheel sizes to support that) so you could easily fit one mounting kit to a drop bar bike and one to your sirrus...

My old bike (steel framed ten speed) could hit 30mph on downhills (it was heavy and not fast) but the front would get very wobbly indeed, and I invariably backed off before trying for more.

My SCR2, running on 25mm Stelvios (lovely tyre, btw) can reach 33mph before I run out of hill (not tried it on anything really big yet) and feels impressively stable.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
So far maxed-out at 49 MPH on my TCR1...overtaking a 4x4 pick-up :biggrin:...on Mt Ventoux. (40 MPH average top to bottom...the best 20 ish minutes bike ride in my life :smile:)

One of our Tues night training runs does 3 descents of a twisty-ish down-hill country lane where I just manage 42 without bottling it and other clubbers just piss-past me...:biggrin:)

domtyler

Über Member
BentMikey said:
I can regularly manage 35-40 on the hill in Leaves Green, but only on the recumbent. On fixed the most I've done is 36 mph.

Forgive me, but isn't 36 in the 35-40 bracket?

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Yes, but that's the fastest I've been on that hill on the fixed. The more normal range is 30-33mph, which is a better comparison. Sorry for my bad post!

davidwalton

I see I still have a way to go. My max is only 38.31mph to date. Brakes were applied to stop me going faster, but I have only ridden a total of 145 miles on a recumbent cycle, so expected to bottle out early. Getting there though:biggrin:

U

User482

I did once record 56mph in the forest of Bowland, but I'm not sure that my computer was all that accurate!

I got 46mph just north of Helmsdale on my LEJOG last year - the loaded panniers and cross wind made it very interesting; I could have gone faster but bottled out.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Back to RLJ'ers... had one tonight.....

John the Monkey will know this area....

Sat in the ASL at the traffic lights on Manchester Road, Parrs Wood, near the Cinema, heading south..... next second a road bike under cuts me and jumps through the lights - I shouted 'LIGHTS'...... anyway lights change five or so seconds later, so I hot foot it after him... bear in mind I've only ridden half a mile at this point so not warmed up. This is a 'proper' cyclist by the way - full kit, decent road bike (probably Pro Race 2 tyres - yes I'm sad)...

Catch him really quickly, and as I pass "Red lights are for you too, mate !" - didn't even look at me.....

As I get towards the top of a rise going over the Motorway bridge, the guys steaming, and passes me and slots in front as we go down the hill... I guess a fully mudguarded MTB with a guy with trackie bottoms passing you isn't good......red rag to a bull....... I think bugger it and just slow to drop off his wheel as we are approaching another set of lights.

Guess what, they are RED, and what happens, guy passes down the left of a few cars and turns left through red, as cars are passing the junction, and slots in on the inside of these cars...idiot.

Well I stop, unclip, and wait. Lights change, so I up the speed, unfortunately for me, he's at the next set of lights waiting to turn right, and I'm stuck behind a bus, so no opportunity to 'remind him' as I carry straight on at this point.

These idiots really give us all a bad name, especially blatant stuff like this

I had a guy do a similar thing to me in London yesterday. He was riding a totally clapped out Spesh Allez, dents, commuter crust a mile deep, squealing chain etc, in the LH lane heading along Embankment into the City, towards Blackfriars.

He was holding a good commanding road position, and I remember thinking to myself, "Aah, a rider who actually knows what they are doing." as I overtook him in the RH lane.

Well that impression was totally wrong. I had already stopped at a set of lights and as he went past me he lightly clipped my arm, avoided getting mown down by a black cab only because the roads were dry and the driver was alert, before jumping up onto the pavement and tearing round a blind corner.

Idiot.

I did as much sanctimonious head shaking as I could muster.

fossyant

Had I been warmed up, I'd have burned his ass - on the road bike, I'd have never seen him again !

Just hate these folk that look like they know what they are doing, setting such a bad example - saw a guy on fixed do a proper jump on Oxford Road in Manchester today - but it's full of students and they all do it - hence why I won't ride on it !

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
fossyant said:
John the Monkey will know this area....

Sat in the ASL at the traffic lights on Manchester Road, Parrs Wood, near the Cinema, heading south..... next second a road bike under cuts me and jumps through the lights - I shouted 'LIGHTS'......

Bloody hell fire - you'd have to have a deathwish to cross Kingsway on a red :biggrin:

I see a few people with decent gear who jump (or creep through) reds... As fossy says later in the thread, it's far, far worse in the centre of town.

Plax

Guru
You wanna come and play with the hills round here. On one hill I regularly get 35 - 36.5 mph on my commute into work. My max recorded speed is 39.5mph, which was exhilaratingly fun, I nearly cycled up a squiffy stone wall going round the bend too fast. I think I've gone faster than that as I managed to keep up with the car in front one time down a steep windy hill which I tend to go down 50ish mph in the car. Unfortunately it was in the period where my cycle computer wasn't working.
Of course there is always a major downfall with hills - you have to cycle back up them!

fossyant

John next bit on - where the cinema/complex exit is just after Kingsway junction...then he does a left from Manchester Road onto Stockport Road against red, when there is traffic flowing through...

Ashtrayhead

Über Member
On one of the hills on my commute I have registered 38mph downhilll...and going up the same hill on the way home it's been as low as 4.7mph! And that's when I'm putting in extra effort so as not to be overtaken by the peds coming out of the nearby station.....

Top Bottom