RLJing f'kin idiot cyclists

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Crankarm

Guru
Was waiting at the lights at the junction of The Backs and Sidgwick Avenue this evening about half 5. The lights eventually went green, the little man illuminated on the other side and the beeps started. So me and about 10 others started crossing the road. About 1/2 - 2/3 of the way across, it's quite wide, I hear the whizz of wheels and 'am scared out of my skin as I stop dead to avoid being hit by this f'kin cyclist who is trying to ride through us peds as we are crossing the road. He swerves to avoid where he thinks I am walking only to ride straight at me. I just manage to get out his way not before shouting "F'king idiot!" at him. He had ridden through a red light from whence he had come. He didn't look like the usual stereotype of cycling menace - a chav or a ned in black on a BSO but a well dressed mature student type about 30 years old, rucksack, loads of curly blonde hair and riding a decent red drop handle touring bike. To$$er.

The number of students I saw cycling on the pavements, wearing no hat or gloves let alone a helmet and no lights. It was 1C today in Cambridge. Many had hands that looked frozen white or as pink as prawns; riding bikes that had clearly just been dragged out of retirement from their parents' sheds, total death traps. And some of these students are going to be the leaders of industry, doctors, lawyers, teachers, journalists or our politicians in years to come. Un-bloody-believable.

57 pages.

GrasB

Veteran
Crankarm said:
The number of students I saw cycling on the pavements, wearing no hat or gloves let alone a helmet and no lights. It was 1C today in Cambridge. Many had hands that looked frozen white or as pink as prawns; riding bikes that had clearly just been dragged out of retirement from their parents' sheds, total death traps. And some of these students are going to be the leaders of industry, doctors, lawyers, teachers, journalists or our politicians in years to come. Un-bloody-believable.
After spending my working life to date employed by Cambs Uni I'll let you in on something: in general common sense is inversely proportional to academic intelligence. ;)

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Baaaaack on topic....

I'm of the 'it's your funeral' school for RLJers attempting to cross traffic against the lights, but cyclists ploughing through pedestrian crossings or lights with crossings royally grinds my gears.

I was hit last year by an old get on a Brompton who thought he'd undertake a bus to jump the lights. The brittle-boned 6st tosspot learned a valuable physics lesson as he collided with 17st of irate me.

My newborn niece was nearly taken out by some dreadfully on-trend fixie rider about two years ago. My sis-in-law just managed to yank the pram back to avoid a collision. A lucky escape for him, as my bro-in-law would have happily beaten Mr Fakenger senseless with his own chopped handlebars, while I stood over him and mocked his aerospokes.

It's really just selfish.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Nearly took a student out yesterday, lights green for me, powering through, and a student starts cycling through the junction......... major intersection on Oxford Road down near Man Met Uni..... possibly got it on video too, will look later tonight.

trustysteed said:
i'll go low, 13.

Give over - it's a Friday! I'd say 62 pages minimum.

chthonic

Über Member
My favourite Cambridge cycling moment was watching a grand old dame pull up at a red light on her sit-up-and-beg-with-a-basket-bike, only to have about 20 students pile into her (and each other) as they weren't going to stop. The lights changed and she pootled away, leaving a tangled mess of youth and bikes behind her.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
so thats 1 cyclist and potentially 10 motorists now thinking cycling to$$er.

and if those ten tell 5 people who drive there'll be 60 odd motorists with a bit more anti bike thinking next time they're driving.

how many of those will show a similar discourtesy to the next few bikers they see.

all so one bell end could get shave a minute off his journey. How often do we castigate cars for the same thing?

RLJ'ing into peds should see you get any bike(s) you own crushed and your ankles broken (yes I have - it'd be a good deterrent).

shouldbeinbed said:
so thats 1 cyclist and potentially 10 motorists now thinking cycling to$$er.

and if those ten tell 5 people who drive there'll be 60 odd motorists with a bit more anti bike thinking next time they're driving.

how many of those will show a similar discourtesy to the next few bikers they see.

all so one bell end could get shave a minute off his journey. How often do we castigate cars for the same thing?

RLJ'ing into peds should see you get any bike(s) you own crushed and your ankles broken (yes I have - it'd be a good deterrent).

don't crush them, could be nice bikes - give them to his neighbours so that he sees the fruits of his selfish stupidity each day as they ride past.

Cab

Actually I think the dynamics of RLJing in Cambridge are different to most other places in the UK.

There are a lot of ASLs here. They're often crammed full of cyclists. As soon as the light goes amber (or before) they're off.

So an RLJ'er coming the other way ends up in a cloud of cyclists!

In most other towns its a minor annoyance. Here it can be a 20 cyclist pile up.

Happiness Stan

Crankarm said:
Was waiting at the lights at the junction of The Backs and Sidgwick Avenue this evening about half 5. The lights eventually went green, the little man illuminated on the other side and the beeps started. So me and about 10 others started crossing the road. About 1/2 - 2/3 of the way across, it's quite wide, I hear the whizz of wheels and 'am scared out of my skin as I stop dead to avoid being hit by this f'kin cyclist who is trying to ride through us peds as we are crossing the road. He swerves to avoid where he thinks I am walking only to ride straight at me. I just manage to get out his way not before shouting "F'king idiot!" ,.

What I used to do is carefully aim a kick to their back wheel as they attempted to ride through. It was fun.

Top Bottom