RLJing f'kin idiot cyclists

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Freewheeler

hackbike 666 said:
I don't really get how this all started.There wasn't any rljing when I first started commuting.

Did they have traffic lights when you started commuting?

;)

(sorry, couldn't resist)

PK99

Legendary Member
Cab said:
Because its perceived by some cyclists as harmless. They're looking before they go so the risk is low (a VERY small percentage of cycling causaities are caused by cyclists red light jumping). They also don't want the hassle and extra energy expenditure of stopping and starting again.

Frankly, wherever a law is perceived as (1) not making you any safer, (2) not having any victims if you break it, and (3) not having any consequences for breaking it, it'll be broken.

Its rather like speeding and the naff arguments people use to justify that.

RLJ at a traffic junction may be a victimless crime - but would you be happy to see cars doing the same?

RLJ at an occupied light controlled pedestrian crossing is NEVER justifiable

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Cab said:
Because its perceived by some cyclists as harmless. They're looking before they go so the risk is low (a VERY small percentage of cycling causaities are caused by cyclists red light jumping). They also don't want the hassle and extra energy expenditure of stopping and starting again.

Frankly, wherever a law is perceived as (1) not making you any safer, (2) not having any victims if you break it, and (3) not having any consequences for breaking it, it'll be broken.

Its rather like speeding and the naff arguments people use to justify that.

Well yes, except that 3000 people a year are killed by motorists, and speeding is implicated in a high proportion of those fatalities, while the number of people killed each year by cyclists, speeding or not, averages a little below one.

Other than that, a pretty good summary.

As a regular RLJ-er myself, I would cheerfully endorse the use of violence against any RLJ-er who so much as inconveniences, let alone spooks, much less puts at risk any pedestrian - or anyone else for that matter. Swerving round people is the act of an peanut, end of.

small fish

Often when i'm approaching a red light/ped crossing I see peds hesitating or flinching because they assume i'm going to go straight through. I try and smile ane reassure them that i'm stopping but generally just get a 'dirty cyclist scum look' off them...

PK99

Legendary Member
on the road said:
Cars have been doing that for years.

Cars generally don't RLJ long after the light goes red and there is a line of cars already stopped.

Many cyclist RLJ's do - when that is at a pedestrian crossing there is NO defence.

PK99

Legendary Member
small fish said:
but generally just get a 'dirty cyclist scum look' off them...

ie you are the victim of the victimless crime?

on the road

Über Member
There a set of traffic lights on one of my routes, the road crosses a six lane dual carriageway with a wide central reservation, because I was crossing from a minor road to a minor road, the lights didn't stay on green for long, I was always halfway across when they changed back to red. So as soon as the cars stopped on the other side, I would count to 5 and then go through the red light, by the time I got over to the other side the lights will have already changed to green and back to red.

The lights used to stay on green for only 5 seconds, but now they seemed to have fixed them now.

on the road

Über Member
PK99 said:
Cars generally don't RLJ long after the light goes red and there is a line of cars already stopped.
Yes they do. What happens is that that line of cars will all go through a red light, I've seen it happen.

GrasB

Veteran
PK99 said:
Having avoided several RLJing cars turning left when I was going straight on through a green light I'd beg to differ.

Norm

on the road said:
Yes they do. What happens is that that line of cars will all go through a red light, I've seen it happen.
I suggest that you should have written that the line of cars may go through a red light. Saying that they will go through is akin to saying that all cyclists go through every red light just because you've seen it happen once.

PK99 said:

Many cyclist RLJ's do - when that is at a pedestrian crossing there is NO defence.
Ive seen plenty of drivers do both. For instance I've been stopped at a junction the car behind stops too but after 3 or 4 secs of red it all gets too much for them and they pull out around me and go through red/opposing traffic. Also Ive seen when I've been sitting stationary for several seconds a driver undertaking the stationary line of cars in front of them and go straight through the ped x'ing.

I've seen cyclists do both also.

My theory its down to the person, not the mode of transport.

Top Bottom