RLJing f'kin idiot cyclists

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

on the road

Über Member
Norm said:
I suggest that you should have written that the line of cars may go through a red light. Saying that they will go through is akin to saying that all cyclists go through every red light just because you've seen it happen once.
No, they WILL go through a red light, it happens all the time.

Maybe it doesn't happen where you are but it happens a lot round here.

I see it more and more by cars now.

PK99

Legendary Member
on the road said:
Yes they do. What happens is that that line of cars will all go through a red light, I've seen it happen.

try reading the original again;

Cars generally don't RLJ long after the light goes red and there is a line of cars already stopped

PK99

Legendary Member
HLaB said:
Ive seen plenty of drivers do both. For instance I've been stopped at a junction the car behind stops too but after 3 or 4 secs of red it all gets too much for them and they pull out around me and go through red/opposing traffic.t.

in 30 plus years of driving i connot recall ever seeing that happen, OTOH i can stand in the centre of wimbledon at busy times and it will not be more than a few minutes before a cyclist passes a line of traffic and over a ped crossing

the point is that on a single carriageway road, once the front car has stopped, ditto a multi lane road when a car has stopped at the head of each lane, it is very very very rare for another car to overtake and RLJ, OTOH it is very common for cyclists to do that

PK99 said:
in 30 plus years of driving i connot recall ever seeing that happen, OTOH i can stand in the centre of wimbledon at busy times and it will not be more than a few minutes before a cyclist passes a line of traffic and over a ped crossing

the point is that on a single carriageway road, once the front car has stopped, ditto a multi lane road when a car has stopped at the head of each lane, it is very very very rare for another car to overtake and RLJ, OTOH it is very common for cyclists to do that
As I was saying I've seen both parties doing it and a plonker is a plonker whether they are on a bike or in a car.

GrasB

Veteran
on the road said:
Once the car in front stops, it's going to be hard for the car behind to RLJ, unless it's an armoured tank :biggrin:
There's this thing called a steering wheel, it with some basic skill it allows a car to turn quite sharply, this can be used to go around the car in front. Most people who RLJ won't be to concerned about mounting a pavement with one wheel etc.

PK99

Legendary Member
GrasB said:
There's this thing called a steering wheel, it with some basic skill it allows a car to turn quite sharply, this can be used to go around the car in front. Most people who RLJ won't be to concerned about mounting a pavement with one wheel etc.

such behaviour by motorists is rare in the extreme, possible but rare, RLJ by cyclists at light controlled pedestrian crossings after the front vehicle is stopped is depressingly common.

I can genuinely say i have never seen a car driver behave in the way you describe, but have seen, and had to avoid, many cyclists in London on pedestrian crossings.

Jezston

Über Member
Like the car stopped in front making it much less likely (if possible) for a car to RLJ, shouldn't a cyclist stopped at a red light make the cyclist coming up behind think before RLJing? This is what got my goat the other day - especially as the guy had to change course to go around me. I'm stopped at the red light - don't you think you probably should too, mate?

on the road

Über Member
GrasB said:
There's this thing called a steering wheel, it with some basic skill it allows a car to turn quite sharply, this can be used to go around the car in front.
True, but that's assuming there's no cars coming in the other direction.

By the way, walking home from the park and about to cross the road on the green man, I seen a car drive straight through a red light and go across the crossing with the green man still on. I'm sure PK99 will probably think I'm lying.

PK99

Legendary Member
on the road said:
True, but that's assuming there's no cars coming in the other direction.

By the way, walking home from the park and about to cross the road on the green man, I seen a car drive straight through a red light and go across the crossing with the green man still on. I'm sure PK99 will probably think I'm lying.

Why would i think that?

I'll repeat again:

Cars generally don't RLJ long after the light goes red and there is a line of cars already stopped
I am drawing the distinction that, generally RLJ by cyclists occurs throughout the red light period whilst RLJ by cars is generally prevented once a car has stopped at the head of the queue.

It's a very simple and non contentious point.

By way of example:

Some time ago i was waiting to cross a light controlled cyclist/ped crossing in Epsom (up the hill from Nescot, for those who know the area), on my way home after a day on the MTB.
Traffic light > Red
Cyclist/ped light> green
Two cars stop on the nearside lane
I'm a tad slow setting off to ride across ---fortunately!
Cyclist comes down the hill and passes between cars and pavement at (guesstimate) close to 20 mph

on the road

Über Member
I know that, but I did make it clear in my earlier posts if you had of read them.
on the road said:
Once the car in front stops, it's going to be hard for the car behind to RLJ
implying the car behind can't RLJ because there is a car in front that has already stopped.

on the road said:
Yes they do. What happens is that that line of cars will all go through a red light, I've seen it happen.
implying that all the cars will go through a red light one after the other

Top Bottom