road being re-surfaced

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Not in Cheshire East, they can't even afford to top dress.
Spent yesterday filling potholes in the unadopted /private drive where we live, other 3 houses that share it never bother to do anything but always whinge about it.FFS i think its a private road so your moaning that no one mends your own driveway .
Trying to sell my house so it was worth the time and effort , paid for the pot hole tarmac with cash from the sale of bike bits so i figure i am ahead ^_^

Drago

Legendary Member
It's wonderful, but it gets better. After a year it so the surface wears, and corners etc especially so. Eventually in these spots the rice crispies wil wear away entirely to leave a slick vitreous surface where the bitumen stuff becomes exposed. Nice and deadly in the wet.

It's a great bodge for councils, but as usual the most vulnerable road users suffer.

screenman

Legendary Member
If during your cycle along one of these bits of resurfaced roads you should fall off, make sure you do so in a fashion that prevents your head from hitting the nice gravel and soft tar. Maybe this would be a time when a helmet would help, NO! I hear some say they will have no problem jumping up into the air just before they hit the deck, thus enabling complete repositioning of the torso to allow a soft landing on their feet.

By the way butter takes tar off of bike frames, skin, clothing and even crash helmets.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Part of the A38 is being properly resurfaces over a couple of nights at the moment - it felt smooth in the car .... I'm hoping I will glide over it on the bike! And I rode on yet another newly top-dressed road today. Definitely the right time of year for it!

Keep an eye on your carpets......

Cheshire CC have been re-surfacing with top dressing chippings all around my village, and suddenly we've got some black spots on our carpets. Traced these to lumps of oily dust - the dust from the new chippings blows up onto the roadie chain, soaks up spare oil, accumulates in the rear mech and drops offs later in my warm bike-store (as in garage). I then tread in it without realising and transfer to the carpets. Wonderful........

Maylian

Veteran
Yeah they've done this on the main road leading into Southampton as well. It's mind boggling since I was singing the council's praises for tarmacing it beautifully only 2-3 months ago!

Psyklon

Had the dubious pleasure of riding over a few miles of this recently around Delamere. Horrible stuff. Can hear small stones pinging off the tyres.
Same here Billy, between the Fishpool Inn & the Abbey Arms! Road was very quiet though so luckily no cars overtook me on that stretch!

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Not in Cheshire East, they can't even afford to top dress.
Damn I spoke too soon. They were top dressing the road between Wilmslow and Alderley this afternoon :-(

Drago

Legendary Member
And today Woman was out on our freshly rice crispied local road. She was doing 20 cos that's what the sign said, and the car isn't quite 6 months old and she didn't want to wreck the paint. Some brain doner in an X5 decided he was too important to wait and overtook the Missus flinging stones all over the car. Alas, she didn't get the bell ends reg number.

Paint is ok but windscreen is cracked. Luckily she's got glass cover on the insurance, but that's not the point - the insurers will be out of pocket paying out for a screen for a Discovery, which helps raise everyone else's premium through no fault of their own, all because of some sexually inadequate chump in a drug dealers car. Not amused :sad:

Maylian

Veteran
Is there any recourse against council's for top surfacing these roads in terms of the increased danger to cyclists either through loss of stability or stones hitting us etc?

snorri

Legendary Member
I would doubt it, the works are usually signed so if you consider the surface to be dangerous get off and walk. Stones will only be thrown up by vehicles breaking the temporary speed limit, you can't blame the council for that.
I'm in an unforgiving mood today.:boxing:

Is there any recourse against council's for top surfacing these roads in terms of the increased danger to cyclists either through loss of stability or stones hitting us etc?
I`d say it depends on the works and how they are conducted if the council post inadequate signage and as a result you get showered in stones by speeding motorists for example then there would be a case to answer. The road should be fit for purpose if it isnt then it shouldnt be open or restrictions should be on it as to the type of vehicles that can use it safely and their speed.

albion

Guru
I reckon that if councils were allow to use hidden speed cameras on resurfaced roads then the roads would both last longer and be well sponsored with fines.

Top Bottom