Road Bike Electric Conversion Kit

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jody

Stubborn git
Saw these the other day and like the idea.

https://www.cycmotor.com/photon

1685012869014.jpeg

Last edited:

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
It's all down to what you like. For me personally a DIY ebike is far superior to that even though its a tiny fraction of the price. DIY conversions can be done exactly as you want the bike to be. It can be more reliable, safer and far more environmentally friendly and doesn't add to our huge trading deficit in the same way leading to the huge interest payments we all have to pay so I think it is economically far more responsible too. That is a disposable product it will likely be uneconomic to repair after a few years and it's carbon fibre frame means it goes straight to landfill and cannot be recycled. Also the great thing about DIY ebikes is you can have a full function throttle which is not allowed on pre-built ebikes. So you have full control of power and can use it only when you want to which can mean a huge range. Also for front hub motor ebikes it is often quick and easy to return them to a standard bike if that is what you want and of course you can move kits to different bikes. I personally think the weight of the bike is far less of an issue when its an ebike as the motor compensates for extra weight and you can concentrate on things that improve the bike to make it more comfortable, thicker tyres, suspension seat post, anything you want really within reason. Lightweight road ebikes are a tiny niche of the marketplace even to a greater extent than lightweight standard road bikes because there is less need for them.

I don't see why my Mahle X35 assisted Ribble SLe and similar bikes can't be relatively easily converted into a standard Carbon framed road-bike. The internal battery can be removed along with associated electrics and cables, the rear wheel dismantled and the wheel rebuilt with a new hub and spokes, or a new wheel used if desired.

OP
OP
Downward

Downward

Guru
Thanks lots of ideas.
I think the only thing putting me off is the added weight given the rim brakes are pretty crap as it is.

I think i’d do better using the hybrid with disc brakes maybe ?

OP
OP
Downward

Downward

Guru
I got a Yose kit last year and one of the reasons I sent it back was the 15ah battery being intrusive and not releasing easily.

I then got this slimmer cheaper 10ah battery that I'm happy with:

View attachment 691293
Yes the Yose kit with standard massive battery is what i have. The fixing kit isn’t great, I bought an extender for the bolts so I could get it fitted to the bottle cage but because it’s so big you can only fix it to 1 area. Now the battery is gaffer taped to the frame !
I probably would buy the kit with the bottle type battery next time.

I don't see why my Mahle X35 assisted Ribble SLe and similar bikes can't be relatively easily converted into a standard Carbon framed road-bike. The internal battery can be removed along with associated electrics and cables, the rear wheel dismantled and the wheel rebuilt with a new hub and spokes, or a new wheel used if desired.

That sounds like a hub motor based ebike so perfectly possible my criticism was for mid-drive ebikes where the frame is designed and dedicated to the motor so if the frame cracks or the motor fails or the battery is not economic to replace it becomes a throwaway product because its a specific design with a set of critical components that must be present and working for the bike to be usable. It's a much more proprietary design. Your bike seems like something that could be returned to a normal bike or even have the whole ebike system replaced. It might mean its not as integrated but still doable.

Looking at my original post perhaps I got a bit carried away and was a bit too critical and hope I didn't cause any offence. Cycling should be inclusive of all people and bikes.

gzoom

Über Member
Cycling should be inclusive of all people and bikes.

Given the latest road bikes cost £10k+ for the all singing all dancing version, I personally think the road eBikes from big brands offer much better 'value'.

Following this thread I tool my Creo on the commute yesterday instead of the Boardman hybrid eBike. I couldn't stop smiling after I got to work.

Yes the electrical assistance on both eBikes peak at 250watts, but the Creo is simply much more agile and fun, devastatingly quick too - even though its not been 'fiddled' with interms of speed sensor. The Boardman is ultitarian, safe, sturdy, but lacks something.

A bolt on eBike kit will turn a 8kg analogue road bike into something like the Boardman I suspect. Where as the OEM road eBikes feels and ride like proper road bikes.

The frameset on the Creo feels so nice if we weren't wasting all our ££££ on the house I would have purchased a set of decent carbon deeper section wheels for the bike. For me the OEM road eBikes are worth every penny.

52927211616_bbc72d2f9a_k_d.jpg

Top Bottom