Road bike for petite ladies

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
Don't forget thats retail. old stock and odd sizes will be cheaper
Current model, it’s still £800
https://www.cyclerepublic.com/boardman-hyb-8-8-womens-hybrid-bike-2019.html

Kempstonian

Has the memory of a goldfish
I'd go with the changing tyres option. If she has a big event coming up maybe this isn't the time to adapt to a new bike? Different saddle, different gears, different riding position. etc. By changing just the tyres to narrower, lighter ones she shouldn't notice any difference other than an increase in speed.

Maybe think about a new bike after the event?

OP
OP
Bhitucyclist

Bhitucyclist

I'd go with the changing tyres option. If she has a big event coming up maybe this isn't the time to adapt to a new bike? Different saddle, different gears, different riding position. etc. By changing just the tyres to narrower, lighter ones she shouldn't notice any difference other than an increase in speed.

Maybe think about a new bike after the event?
Yes that what i am thinking too ! But at some point i want to own and ride a proper road bike! May be one for laterz

OP
OP
Bhitucyclist

Bhitucyclist

Yep. It will give you more time to save up and allow you time to research the best bike for you. No sense in rushing the choice.
Yes plus already have two cycles ... have to dispose one atleast , no space for the third. Once the event is over in sept i will look for a new bike. I can take as long as i need to get used to it then

Sorry, been out all day...

Yup, I have two Wiggins bikes @Bhitucyclist ; the Rouen 650c road bike and the Chartres 26 hybrid. Both are really nice. The Chartres is a recent addition to my fleet, but have put around 100 miles on it in a pretty short time. I've had the Rouen for two and a half years and have used it as a commuter, a hack bike, for leisure rides and for mini tours / days out.

Both bikes turn heads wherever I go with them.

If you're looking for a zippy, lightweight, fun ride that will put a smile on your face, then the Rouen is just the ticket. It really doesn't take long to get used to riding a road bike, honest, maybe a few days, no more than that, and the faster you go, the easier it gets. But if you're looking for a solid, reliable mile muncher, then the Chartres with its flat bars, comfy geometry and lower gearing is likely to be far more suitable.

I'm currently running the Chartres on 28mm Schwalbe Duranos rather than the original wider Kendas.

IMHO the Wiggins bikes are better value than Isla or Frog as you get a better spec for your money. And if my brain isn't playing tricks on me, the Islabikes and Frogs that are around the £400 mark have only a single chainring on the front and fewer gears on the back. If you want anything better (chainset / brakes), it gets rather spendy...

P.S. I've tried the Decathlon bikes adult bikes btw, and while they're rideable once you're on them, the top bar is quite high, so you do risk smacking yourself in places you'd rather not if you get stopping and junctions wrong. DAMHIKT... Irritatingly, their junior bikes are just that little bit too small. I know they used to do XXS frames, but not anymore as I recall. The smallest they do is an XS, which, for me at 4ft 11, is too big.

Hope this is useful to you...

CXRAndy

Guru
@Bhitucyclist

I've just read you're doing an event where you need to get your current speed a tad higher. Going for a proper road bike now will allow you to be in a more aero position on occasion. This will increase speed significantly than just a sit up position that comes with flat handlebar bikes. The often missed benefit of drop handlebars is multiple hand positions to help stave off discomfort from long rides, not just for hands but back and neck.

Good luck in your pursuit of the dream bike:okay:

OP
OP
Bhitucyclist

Bhitucyclist

Sorry, been out all day...

Yup, I have two Wiggins bikes @Bhitucyclist ; the Rouen 650c road bike and the Chartres 26 hybrid. Both are really nice. The Chartres is a recent addition to my fleet, but have put around 100 miles on it in a pretty short time. I've had the Rouen for two and a half years and have used it as a commuter, a hack bike, for leisure rides and for mini tours / days out.

Both bikes turn heads wherever I go with them.

If you're looking for a zippy, lightweight, fun ride that will put a smile on your face, then the Rouen is just the ticket. It really doesn't take long to get used to riding a road bike, honest, maybe a few days, no more than that, and the faster you go, the easier it gets. But if you're looking for a solid, reliable mile muncher, then the Chartres with its flat bars, comfy geometry and lower gearing is likely to be far more suitable.

I'm currently running the Chartres on 28mm Schwalbe Duranos rather than the original wider Kendas.

IMHO the Wiggins bikes are better value than Isla or Frog as you get a better spec for your money. And if my brain isn't playing tricks on me, the Islabikes and Frogs that are around the £400 mark have only a single chainring on the front and fewer gears on the back. If you want anything better (chainset / brakes), it gets rather spendy...

P.S. I've tried the Decathlon bikes adult bikes btw, and while they're rideable once you're on them, the top bar is quite high, so you do risk smacking yourself in places you'd rather not if you get stopping and junctions wrong. DAMHIKT... Irritatingly, their junior bikes are just that little bit too small. I know they used to do XXS frames, but not anymore as I recall. The smallest they do is an XS, which, for me at 4ft 11, is too big.

Hope this is useful to you...
Thanks a lot for your detailed post .. the rouen looks something i could go for. Have tried this one for lumpy rides ... is it safe riding downhill ?

CXRAndy

Guru
@Bhitucyclist

Some information re sizing from here

Both 700c models are available to purchase in 43cm or 48cm frame sizes. The 43cm frame is sized for riders of height 145cm - 150cm (4' 8" - 4' 11") and aged approximately 11 years and over. The 48cm frame 700c is designed for taller riders, 165 - 170cm (5' 5" - 5' 7"), and will be a last junior bike before progressing onto adult road bikes.

http://www.cyclesprog.co.uk/bikes/bradley-wiggins-rouen-kids-road-bikes/

You can get 2nd hand for £180
https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/192896183989?chn=ps

so bargains are to be had.

If you can find and fit on a 700c model tyre selection is greater

vickster

Legendary Member
Thanks a lot for your detailed post .. the rouen looks something i could go for. Have tried this one for lumpy rides ... is it safe riding downhill ?
Yes as long as you feel comfortable pulling / able to pull the brake levers sufficiently. You can always add secondary brake levers to the tops of the handlebar so you’re braking similarly to a flat bar (myself and the friends I ride with have these). Also good in traffic as they put you more upright so more able to seen and more visible to traffic which I like even though I’m pretty tall at 5’9+

You're welcome :okay:

Yeah, it's fine for downhills, although here in the fens we don't have so many hills... :blush: However, I have ridden the Rouen in Hampshire, where it *is* hilly. :smile:

@Bhitucyclist

Some information re sizing from here

Both 700c models are available to purchase in 43cm or 48cm frame sizes. The 43cm frame is sized for riders of height 145cm - 150cm (4' 8" - 4' 11") and aged approximately 11 years and over. The 48cm frame 700c is designed for taller riders, 165 - 170cm (5' 5" - 5' 7"), and will be a last junior bike before progressing onto adult road bikes.

http://www.cyclesprog.co.uk/bikes/bradley-wiggins-rouen-kids-road-bikes/

You can get 2nd hand for £180
https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/192896183989?chn=ps

so bargains are to be had.

If you can find and fit on a 700c model tyre selection is greater

IMHO that sizing on the Wiggins road bikes is a bit "off" - I can't straddle the top bar of the 700c-shod 43cm frame and I'm 4' 11" :surrender:

The 650c bike with the 38cm frame is bang on for me. :angel:

My recommendation is to try them for size. Yeah, with the 650c wheels, it means I have a lot less choice when it comes to tyres (and inner tubes for that matter) but for me, it's a happy trade-off as I have a bike that fits. FWIW, the Kenda Concept tyres I run on the Rouen are pretty reasonable.

Top Bottom