Road bike for TT's

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I want to get into TT and i was looking for a new bike to get early next year.

Im looking at spending around £3-4k but riding time trials once maybe twice a week i cant really justify that amount on a TT bike, so i thought id try and get aero road bike.
As far as im aware the seat post angle should be steeper angle, Neil Pryde does the Alize with an optional 78 deg seat post and is at a decent price.
Can anyone reccommend any other decent bikes to use, until then ill use my Domane 4.5 with Aeros but its not the most aero dynamic bike.

Andy, I don't know what level you ride at and I don't need to know. I'm guessing from your OP that you're not a seasoned TT rider. Many people do TTs on road bikes.

There was a time when EVERYONE used them, as TT machines were still in the future.

You can also buy some TT bars (Tri Bars) and fool around with your seat post and stem length to get a more 'TT' position on a road bike.

The experienced riders at your club will be able to give you an idea of how much faster you'd be going on a TT bike.

Give it a go for a season and then decide. It is a strange discipline and takes quite a while to learn for something so apparently simple. You are looking to empty the tank completely over ten, twenty-five or more miles while keeping an eye on traffic, road conditions and your route. Even an experienced athlete will find themselves blowing up at three-quarter distance one week and then coming home with tons of energy unused another...

I'd spend a season getting into the physical rhythms of TT riding and then splash out if you think it's your bag.

As to doing two TTs in a week.... make that decision after doing one. It can be quite a sapping business.

OP
OP
A

Andy_G

There's quite a bit of decent advice on here, so I think it's going to be that for the next 6 months ill use tri bars and maybe half a season and then mid summer get a lower end TT bike with the idea of gradually upgrading things on it.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
If I were you I would just time trial on your road bike with some clip on aero bars. The truth (sadly) is that you can't buy your way to speed. Just get out there and push as hard as you can week after week and take note of your times and average speed. Ignore your placings, who is beating you and what others are riding or wearing. Hopefully your times will improve as you get stronger and you will appreciate that it is all down to you and not expensive kit.

Then, to take the next step, start spending on expensive kit as it will give you marginal gains in your times, but lets face it, who cares? If your dream is to to smash a 20 min 10 mile then forget the kit and get yourself to some dragstrip of a course that starts with a 1/2 mile downhill and has lorries thrashing past at 60 mph.

Some fair points and I tend to agree on how to go about it. But you can buy speed, you can buy quite a lot of speed, especially if you are a slower rider where the saving in terms of watts converts to larger time savings than for a faster rider! You can buy minutes. I would hazard an educated guess that my road bike vs my TT bike (and all the gear) probably save me over 2 minutes in a 10 mile TT. I would also say, try not to curb your ambitions or isolate yourself from external competition too much, because if you have the engine and get your training right you might just make leaps in terms of your racing. When I started, I thought it would take a 2-3 seasons to make the progress I made this season.

Not sure that you mean by who cares? Could you elaborate? If I read it as I have done (which I am not sure is how you intended), I would respond by saying, I care and so do a large proportion of the time trialling scene. If there is a marginal gain to be made, I will do it and so will many others. Every second counts :smile:

If you have the room and money by all means get a TT bike but I cant justify the purchase either, the seven (10mile) TT's I've did this year have been on my regular road bike without tri bars etc, although on my last go, I did do it on a set of new Fulcrum Quattros (not light, +1700g but lighter than my previous wheels, more aero and mechanically sound). I've got hold of some clip on tri bars that'll fit my 'wing' profile, oval bars for next season so I hope to beat my PB 27.23 on the club course, it'll never beat the full on TT riders on the course (well it did with a large handicap :thumbsup:) but at the end of the day you are only racing against yourself and I've seen folk on Mtb and trikes chapeau :bravo:

FWIW its something like this wrt time:
New wheels saved me 23secs (compared to previous week);
Its estimated that Clip ons will save 30secs (on a different course I've done a 26:07 with clip ons);
A pointy helmet will save 10-30secs;
Discs will save 30secs+; and a
TT bike 1min to 1.5mins.

The choice is yours but I'm happy I think :rolleyes: to stop at new wheels and clip on tri bars ;)

bianchi1

Guru
Some fair points and I tend to agree on how to go about it. But you can buy speed, you can buy quite a lot of speed, especially if you are a slower rider where the saving in terms of watts converts to larger time savings than for a faster rider! You can buy minutes. I would hazard an educated guess that my road bike vs my TT bike (and all the gear) probably save me over 2 minutes in a 10 mile TT. I would also say, try not to curb your ambitions or isolate yourself from external competition too much, because if you have the engine and get your training right you might just make leaps in terms of your racing. When I started, I thought it would take a 2-3 seasons to make the progress I made this season.

Not sure that you mean by who cares? Could you elaborate? If I read it as I have done (which I am not sure is how you intended), I would respond by saying, I care and so do a large proportion of the time trialling scene. If there is a marginal gain to be made, I will do it and so will many others. Every second counts :smile:

Obviously if you are competing at a good level an individual will care about their own performances. In my experience the only other people who are interested in your times are the riders you are beating by a couple of seconds. Our local club is having its come and try it time trial tomorrow and my son is going to give it a go as he is now old enough. As long as he has fun and works hard his time is only important to him as something to beat in the future. Should he, in a few years, be in yellow in the tour I'm sure others will care!

I agree you can buy speed, but first I would go for fitness/strength then invest. I think you are right about the 2 minute over 10 miles. We run a 'road man' trophy where the riders aren't allowed tt equipment, and the times are around 2 minutes slower across the board.

OP
OP
A

Andy_G

ziggys101

Über Member
I think I'm in the same place as the OP, did a couple of TT this year and really enjoyed it. My natural response now is to buy the best TT bike I can :becool: but I'm holding back until I don't look like a complete tw*t on the flash bike... So my question the the TT die hards is, is there a rough time you would recommend once you have achieved on a regular bike with clip ons that it would be most beneficial to then go for TT specific bike. So as an example without opening myself for ridicule on my local 10k course (Tean) the record is mid 20's my best is 28:30 :shy: if I could get into the 25's is that the time to look at a specific bike?

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Buy it when you want it. No-one will laugh at you and if they do, they are pricks!

I see plenty people who have full TT setups, Cervelo frames, Zipp disc wheels, pointy hats, the works and then you catch them for 3-4 minutes and go past them like they are standing still, it doesn't matter and I usually shout some form of encouragement if I can!

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

Andy_G

Ill be interested in the replies on this one to.
Id doubt you would look like a tw*t lol, i will though riding from my house to the course in rush hour, skinned up and point hat lol.

Waspie

Über Member
I would love a TT bike as well but not sure I can justify it either.

This was my first full season of TTs after having done a few the year before. Started on the drops, then got clip on bars, almost no difference in my time until I improved my position. This helped - http://www.profile-design.com/profile-design/products/seatposts/aluminum-seat-posts, as did putting a different saddle on, a battered old planet x team saddle from my commute bike proved much comfier in tt position than the saddle on my road bike.

endoman

Ive just seen this.
http://www.evanscycles.com/products/bmc/timemachine-tmr01-ultegra-2014-road-bike-ec053885
looks aggressive and with a decent set of Aero bars could do the trick, if i threaten the wife a little maybe this one.
http://www.evanscycles.com/products/bmc/timemachine-tmr01-ultegra-di2-2014-road-bike-ec053884
I know i need to get my fitness up and im going to try and shed about another 20kg before april when The Westerley series starts at Hillingdon curcuit.

you could buy a perfectly decent TT bike and a road bike for that sort of money, if you are any way serious about TT's then the correct bike is needed.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
I agree and tbh, there is no better feeling than battering along at near 30mph on a TT bike! It just feels so right!

OP
OP
A

Andy_G

you could buy a perfectly decent TT bike and a road bike for that sort of money, if you are any way serious about TT's then the correct bike is needed.
Im deadly serious about it, in just over a year of cycling ive spent over £3000 on bikes, some of the guys at the club are quick one is knocking on the 21' door and im aiming to get to his level, i know its gonna be near impossible but its something to aim for.
I agree and tbh, there is no better feeling than battering along at near 30mph on a TT bike! It just feels so right!
Well if its half as good as a road bike then bring it on.

Top Bottom