Road bike for TT's

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

VamP

Banned
Andy, I don't know what level you ride at and I don't need to know. I'm guessing from your OP that you're not a seasoned TT rider. Many people do TTs on road bikes.

There was a time when EVERYONE used them, as TT machines were still in the future.

You can also buy some TT bars (Tri Bars) and fool around with your seat post and stem length to get a more 'TT' position on a road bike.

The experienced riders at your club will be able to give you an idea of how much faster you'd be going on a TT bike.

Give it a go for a season and then decide. It is a strange discipline and takes quite a while to learn for something so apparently simple. You are looking to empty the tank completely over ten, twenty-five or more miles while keeping an eye on traffic, road conditions and your route. Even an experienced athlete will find themselves blowing up at three-quarter distance one week and then coming home with tons of energy unused another...

I'd spend a season getting into the physical rhythms of TT riding and then splash out if you think it's your bag.

As to doing two TTs in a week.... make that decision after doing one. It can be quite a sapping business.

Let's not get carried away here. I will often do another 10 after the club 10 to complete a good threshold 2x20ish session. That's on top of riding 25 miles to work, then twenty to the race and then another 15 to get home after. I will also do a race at the weekend. A 10 mile TT is just 20-30 minutes of hard effort. It's not a big deal.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Let's not get carried away here. I will often do another 10 after the club 10 to complete a good threshold 2x20ish session. That's on top of riding 25 miles to work, then twenty to the race and then another 15 to get home after. I will also do a race at the weekend. A 10 mile TT is just 20-30 minutes of hard effort. It's not a big deal.

But, if you race less, you will in all likelihood race better!

VamP

Banned
But, if you race less, you will in all likelihood race better!

;)

Well you know and I know that I will bring my Stress Balance to near neutral for those race that matter. Truth is that most races don't matter enough to taper for.

As an aside I've ridden around 30 races (all sorts) so far this season, I don't think that is an unusually high number.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
I'm on 28 races so far, with 3x 25TT's and 6x HC's left. Under no illusions that I would be faster if I raced a bit less though, but I had too many targets this season, through excess enthusiasm and inability to make decisions.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Would the TT'ers on here rather win an event with a disappointing time, or come last but with a personal best?

Win. Provided it wasn't a soft win, for example a field lacking in notable strong riders or a very small field etc.

Although the way TT's work, you would likely reap more from a PB in terms of getting a ride in faster or higher profile events etc.

VamP

Banned
Ive just seen this.
http://www.evanscycles.com/products/bmc/timemachine-tmr01-ultegra-2014-road-bike-ec053885
looks aggressive and with a decent set of Aero bars could do the trick, if i threaten the wife a little maybe this one.
http://www.evanscycles.com/products/bmc/timemachine-tmr01-ultegra-di2-2014-road-bike-ec053884
I know i need to get my fitness up and im going to try and shed about another 20kg before april when The Westerley series starts at Hillingdon curcuit.

I have been through this also, some of my thought processes and their outcome covered here.

FWIW the bike I got in the end has been focus of much discussion in our club, and there are now three very serious testers (capable of long twenties) who are all planning to get the same frame over winter. It's truly phenomenal value.

VamP

Banned
I'm on 28 races so far, with 3x 25TT's and 6x HC's left. Under no illusions that I would be faster if I raced a bit less though, but I had too many targets this season, through excess enthusiasm and inability to make decisions.

:hello: that sounds familiar

But let's be honest, racing is more fun than training.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Next year I will be more selective. Will probably get advice from club mates re. what events to target. Basically this year I entered everything I had a passing interest in and if that event was part of a series, I entered the rest of the series too.

VamP

Banned
Next year I will be more selective. Will probably get advice from club mates re. what events to target. Basically this year I entered everything I had a passing interest in and if that event was part of a series, I entered the rest of the series too.

I don't know if I will be more selective, but I will do a lot more testing and a lot less MTB races. They cost a fortune and are always hours away. Anyways cross season starts this Saturday :hyper:

VamP

Banned
I think I opted to not do too many TTs as I subconciously knew I would devote too much time to them and I actually enjoy going out with mates.

Says the man who finds 20+ hours of saddle time every week somehow ;)

endoman

Im deadly serious about it, in just over a year of cycling ive spent over £3000 on bikes, some of the guys at the club are quick one is knocking on the 21' door and im aiming to get to his level, i know its gonna be near impossible but its something to aim for.

Well if its half as good as a road bike then bring it on.

Well I got down to 20:31 in this my first year of testing, on a bike you can pick up new for way under 2K. Set your goals, do your training, see what happens. You've got a full winter to get ready for next year now. If you really are serious then you will not be spending a huge amount of time on a road bike. All my turbo is on the TT bike to get muscles used to the position.

Top Bottom