Calling all Time Triallists

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

VamP

Banned
My plans to save up for a top notch TT bike have to be shelved for some time...

So in the meantime, I have a road bike sitting around not being ridden, and I aim to use the kit from that to build a TT racer. It's not going to be pretty, it's not going to be light, but I would like it to be reasonably clean and above all need to keep the costs down.

Currently I figure that the only things I need are frame/seatpost, and cockpit/shifters.

What frames should I look at? What about the cockpit? The shifters will have to be be campag 10 speed, unless someone convinces me that SRAM shifters AND both mechs work out cheaper. Brake levers I guess the cheapest will do?

Cheers fellas.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
How much you got to spend?

OP
OP
VamP

VamP

Banned
That's a little bit inflatable depending on what floats my boat. I was thinking 500 as a top boundary for the frame, and whatever it takes to get the cockpit I want.

Also sizing. Same as roadbikes or different?

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Depends on brand re the sizing. I ride the same size Cannondale road and TT bikes, but with other brands it can differ. You will want to see what the frame length height is going to be though as some frames, regardless of the size you buy simply won't fit well.

Cockpit, I would say, concentrate on finding one that fits (this will mean knowing the frame etc too) or is maximally adjustable (Zipp Vuka Alumina clip system is immensely adjustable and also priced rather un-typically for a Zipp product, i.e. it is priced keenly) as you will gain far more from getting your position right than you will from having a slightly cleaner front end.

Let me have a think about frames.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Within reason I think TT bikes have a longer toptube so you are more spread out/ aero but lose on manouvreability not too critical on some tt's.

The top tube is usually shorter. But they have a shorter head tube so reach is maintained, whilst getting lower. They do usually have a larger distance from bottom bracket to front hub though to keep them going in the right direction :smile:

OP
OP
VamP

VamP

Banned
I've only done TT's on tri bars (and few without) but judging on what I've seen you can spend upto any amout on tt bike, aero (zipp) wheels, aero helmet, skinsuit, etc. The more you spend the more you get!

Obvs.

But the £4k superbike is currently on hold - this is a cheap as chips stop gap.

Now I need everyone to tell me that this is a bad idea

$(KGrHqN,!oEF!QIw)4qmBQLhR6cW(g~~60_12.jpg

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Obvs.

But the £4k superbike is currently on hold - this is a cheap as chips stop gap.

Now I need everyone to tell me that this is a bad idea

View attachment 25614

My club mate rides a Chinese special frame, with Zipp disc/Vision deep section wheels and Vision Tribars, it looks great and as far as I know he has been using it for a couple of seasons now, he is pretty rapid on it too! So not necessarily a bad option.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
I can ask him where he got it if you like. Another clubmate has his own brand selling incredible kit for the money, but atm the TT frames appear to be out of stock.

The one the guy rides that I refered to in my previous post has very slick cable routing etc but standard stem and headset setup, not integrated like the current superbikes.

IMO most important thing is fit, get that right and you will go fast.

OP
OP
VamP

VamP

Banned
And there's this

Scala-bike-shimano-ultegra-1024x800.jpg

Frameset with seatpost, forks, headset and the integrated brakes for £1k

Blows the budget but the 0% finance would smooth that road. And it should future proof me somewhat :laugh:

GrasB

Veteran
You could do worse than a base Ribble TT frame especially at <£200 in forks.

Sure it's not a stunning looker but it's stiff, has replaceable horizontal drop-outs & is easy to build around.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Not sure if it is that particular Ribble, but someone at our club 10 the other evening was telling me about the Ribble TT frame as he has one, was saying some sort of design issue causes the chain to rub on the frame when you drop into warp drive. He has had it to various bike shops and done some research about it etc and came back with a design issue. No idea re. this myself, other than if it was a design issue, I would be returning it.

Top Bottom