Road bike for under £100?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
T

TobyM

It's too big for me unfortunately, and at that price I'm not sure how many miles I'm going to be able to cover before bits start falling off! Also, as mentioned earlier, I was looking for one with STI shifters I'm afraid. Thanks for the link though :smile:

It's too big for me unfortunately, and at that price I'm not sure how many miles I'm going to be able to cover before bits start falling off! Also, as mentioned earlier, I was looking for one with STI shifters I'm afraid. Thanks for the link though :smile:

Another option - get one cheap without STIs, buy some second hand STIs on eBay and you're sorted. That's what I did with one bike. £30 for the bike, £20 for the shifters and £5 for the downtube cable stops. They can be had pretty cheaply if you are not after 10 or 11 speed and non-STI bikes are much cheaper in general.

OP
OP
T

TobyM

Another option - get one cheap without STIs, buy some second hand STIs on eBay and you're sorted. That's what I did with one bike. £30 for the bike, £20 for the shifters and £5 for the downtube cable stops. They can be had pretty cheaply if you are not after 10 or 11 speed and non-STI bikes are much cheaper in general.
I was thinking about doing this - how did you manage to pick up some STI shifters for £20? They seem to go for around £40 on ebay, sometimes more. Might be worth trying though, and in the meantime before I do get STI shifters the standard gear change system will probably be fine. Looks like I'm heading back towards the viking!

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
I was thinking about doing this - how did you manage to pick up some STI shifters for £20? They seem to go for around £40 on ebay, sometimes more. Might be worth trying though, and in the meantime before I do get STI shifters the standard gear change system will probably be fine. Looks like I'm heading back towards the viking!
I'll be surprised if you don't enjoy the bike :smile:

OP
OP
T

TobyM

I'll be surprised if you don't enjoy the bike :smile:
I hope I do, it's a toss up now between the Carrera Virtuouso and the viking with some STI shifters added on. How do you find the gearing on the viking - okay for big hills? I regularly cycle up a hill which is about 2 miles long, with about a 650ft gain which is easy enough on my MTB but I don't know what it would be like on a road bike.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
I hope I do, it's a toss up now between the Carrera Virtuouso and the viking with some STI shifters added on. How do you find the gearing on the viking - okay for big hills? I regularly cycle up a hill which is about 2 miles long, with about a 650ft gain which is easy enough on my MTB but I don't know what it would be like on a road bike.
Well I have managed cat 3 climbs on her and at 15st I am not the greatest of climbers. If anything I would like a larger top gear for flat speed.

galactico

This topic reminds me of a top gear challenge where they all have to buy supercars for £1500.

none of them lasted too long did they?

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
This topic reminds me of a top gear challenge where they all have to buy supercars for £1500.
There is a big difference between cheap and inexpensive. Also the budget is now £200. The Viking I have is proving to be a great machine for the money and has a lot of upgrade potential. Also I am loath to take seriously anyone who thinks road riding on a TT bike will be like a road racing bike.

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
Some months ago I was looking for a small framed road bike. At the time Biggs682 (I might have misremembered the user name) was selling a couple of bikes for £100. Send him a pm to see if he is still selling them.

Be careful of things that are too cheap on eBay/gumtree as they're a den for stolen bikes

OP
OP
T

TobyM

Well I have managed cat 3 climbs on her and at 15st I am not the greatest of climbers. If anything I would like a larger top gear for flat speed.

I wasnt trying to say anything for £200 would be sh**e. My roadie is a second hand carrera vanquish. It is in mint condition and only cost £210. Thats with tiagra parts and carbon forks. Bargains are out there if you look hard enough.

http://cgi.ebay.co.u...T#ht_500wt_1156
Wish I could find something like this, but I've been looking at ebay/classifieds over the last few days with no luck - but I bet if I stop looking something brilliant will turn up!

Some months ago I was looking for a small framed road bike. At the time Biggs682 (I might have misremembered the user name) was selling a couple of bikes for £100. Send him a pm to see if he is still selling them.

Be careful of things that are too cheap on eBay/gumtree as they're a den for stolen bikes
Looked up the name, but he's situated in Wellingborough, so won't be able to collect even if he did have anything!

Top Bottom