Road bike for under £100?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TobyM

I've been into mountain biking for a few years now, and regularly do reasonably long trips with a mixture of on and off-road and have been clocking up the miles recently. While I was clocking up some more miles on my mountain bike, I realised I was starting to enjoy the sense of achievement when you arrive somewhere miles away at a certain time more than I enjoy doing off road trips, which nearly always take a long time and use a lot of energy, without much gain. Of course, I still very much enjoy the thrill of navigating a narrow track, but I'm beginning to think it may perhaps be time to venture into the world of road biking.

My question is, though, how do I start? I've been looking at the Carrera range from Halfords and, in particular, the Carrera Virtuoso, which currently retails for £330. However, being only 16, I don't feel that I can really afford to spend close to £350 on a bike that I might be looking to upgrade in a couple of years time, especially with the prospect of university looming! I want to know if it's possible to buy a good, solid road bike which will get me places quicker and help me build up my fitness at the same time, for under £100.. I am, of course, willing to buy second hand!

However, please bear in mind that I currently have a mountain bike with lock out forks which I could relatively easily purchase slicks on - so I'm looking for something which is going to be beneficial over my current mountain bike!

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
I bought a secondhand mid nineties road bike with a Sora groupset for 60 quid a few years ago. It had no wheels and needed a chain and cassette but after getting the bits it stood me at just over a hundred, I rode quite a few thousand miles on it and was a revelation compared to my old slicked up mtb, so yes it is possible but you have to be a little canny.

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
My question is, though, how do I start? I've been looking at the Carrera range from Halfords and, in particular, the Carrera Virtuoso, which currently retails for £330. However, being only 16, I don't feel that I can really afford to spend close to £350 on a bike that I might be looking to upgrade in a couple of years time, especially with the prospect of university looming! I want to know if it's possible to buy a good, solid road bike which will get me places quicker and help me build up my fitness at the same time, for under £100.. I am, of course, willing to buy second hand!

I got my race bike as a gift from my parents when I was 15. Turned out they got it from argos for £250. It is the cheapest you can buy a brand new race bike for. the quality is good enough and it has all the right stuff, drop bars, shimano gears, etc..., but as it is made out of steel, it is very heavy. I do manage to keep up with other cyclists though.

For under £100, I suggest you look on ebay as that will be the cheapest. You will most probably end up with quite an old bike as well. Unfortunately
:sad:

OP
OP
T

TobyM

I bought a secondhand mid nineties road bike with a Sora groupset for 60 quid a few years ago. It had no wheels and needed a chain and cassette but after getting the bits it stood me at just over a hundred, I rode quite a few thousand miles on it and was a revelation compared to my old slicked up mtb, so yes it is possible but you have to be a little canny.

I think I will have to do something like this. Perhaps looking at the classifieds on here I will find something? I can probably stretch to more than £100, but I'd rather not!

I got my race bike as a gift from my parents when I was 15. Turned out they got it from argos for £250. It is the cheapest you can buy a brand new race bike for. the quality is good enough and it has all the right stuff, drop bars, shimano gears, etc..., but as it is made out of steel, it is very heavy. I do manage to keep up with other cyclists though.

For under £100, I suggest you look on ebay as that will be the cheapest. You will most probably end up with quite an old bike as well. Unfortunately
:sad:

I've come to a similar conclusion, which is why I've been looking at the Halfords bikes. It would be interesting to know if I can pick up a second hand carerra for not too much...

As for eBay, I find it's not what it once was - everyone looks on it, and it becomes almost impossible to find a bargain! A lot of road bikes sell for barely less than they would new!

Unfortunately you've missed the CTC York Cycle Rally auction for this year where I've picked up some really nice road bikes for £20-40

Keep an eye on the police auctions of stolen bikes. They might have a real auction in your area if you ask or they have an on-line auction site

Otherwise its eBay, Gumtree, Craigslist etc if you want a reasonable bike for under £100

OP
OP
T

TobyM

Unfortunately you've missed the CTC York Cycle Rally auction for this year where I've picked up some really nice road bikes for £20-40

Keep an eye on the police auctions of stolen bikes. They might have a real auction in your area if you ask or they have an on-line auction site

Otherwise its eBay, Gumtree, Craigslist etc if you want a reasonable bike for under £100

What about carboot sales and the like? Do you think I'd see something worth buying if I visited a few?

Just looking on ebay there are plenty you can pick up quite cheap.

http://www.ebay.co.u...38#ht_500wt_949

I would maybe say maybe the front forks need looking at on this bike though...

Is this pretty much the same as this? http://direct.tesco.com/product/images/?R=210-8498
If so, I'm not sure if £50 or whatever it sells for is really that big an improvement!

ChrisRicho

I more put this as i was laughing at the forks and it shows that £100 is a difficult budget to achieve.
whistling.gif

You need to really search by area on ebay.

C

chillyuk

This cost me around the £100 mark. The basic bike was £30 off Ebay (collected so no postage) and I have spent about £70 on it to get it into good condition. You have to be very patient. it took me several months for the right bike to come along at the right price and the right distance away.

Raleigh2.jpg

OP
OP
T

TobyM

Have you read the reviews on the Tesco BSO Bike? :ohmy:

Don't worry, I've already decided never to buy a cheap bike like that - It would just fall apart!

I more put this as i was laughing at the forks and it shows that £100 is a difficult budget to achieve.
whistling.gif

You need to really search by area on ebay.

Haha, I'll be honest I never looked much at the picture before - lets hope it didn't come like that! I think the seller may want to turn his forks the right way round and repost the listing..

As for a £100 bike, I've now decided I'm prepared to stretch to £200. I'm far too impatient to wait another 6 months for a bargain to come along in my area!

This cost me around the £100 mark. The basic bike was £30 off Ebay (collected so no postage) and I have spent about £70 on it to get it into good condition. You have to be very patient. it took me several months for the right bike to come along at the right price and the right distance away.

Raleigh2.jpg

I think this is the kind of thing I'll have to do - I've got a friend who had a Carrera Virtuoso for a couple of years as his first bike, then upgraded to something much older, but lighter and faster, that he picked up for £50 out the local paper.

Also, is that a Halfords wireless cycle computer you've got there? Or is it some other brand? Mine recently died just before a trip to the forest of dean so I'll never know how far I went, seeing as it's impossible to work it out on the map seeing as half the day was spent 'exploring' and the map was put away :smile: Having said that, it would appear to have regained life somehow.. perhaps if it dies again I'll get some new batteries.

Do you think it would be possible to pick up a good, solid but light frame and build up a bike for under £200? I'm prepared to buy second hand parts.

C

chillyuk

Do you think it would be possible to pick up a good, solid but light frame and build up a bike for under £200? I'm prepared to buy second hand parts.

Yes, assuming you can find the second hand parts. It could be worth considering it as a longer term winter project. Buy a frame, then list all the bits you want, and begin getting them from wherever you can. Join Freecycle and put a wanted ad on for old bike parts. You could be amazed at what can be offered. Car boot sales are a good source where you may even find a complete bike. Saw a guy at a car boot a few weeks with a very decrepid Raleigh Pursuit asking £250. Very rare and very collectable he told me. He seemed quite offended for some reason when I laughed in his face.

You say build a bike for around £200. If you can stretch to that have a look at the bike of one of the members on here, Angelfishsolo. Looking on the web they seem to get reasonable reviews, and there is one with different gear shifters within that budget. I'm sure Angelfish would be pleased to tell you more.

The computer on my Raleigh is indeed a Halfords 6 function wireless. Don't forget there are two batteries, one in the main unit and one in the transmitter on the forks.

Top Bottom