Road Bike Help

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
Thinking you could be right, im on leisurebikes now and both are the same price.
Plus im going to need to buy helmet, mudgaurds, shoes etc, so that 300 will come in handy (omg i forgot about the extras part!!!!)
Join British Cycling and you can save money at Evans too (just not on bikes)

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I don't recall anywhere in this thread the OP saying what sort of commute distances are involved and whether the bike is going to be ridden or parked up at work in a hostile environment where theft or accidental/malicious damage is a risk.
For a start, if you have to lock a bike up where you can't keep an eye on it, or worse still on the street in a risky area, it's pointless using anything other than a virtually worthless, ratty looking, station bike. In some areas, other people decide your realistic bike choice, not you!
Getting your expensive new bike stolen or damaged is not going to do much to encourage you to stick with cycling as a long-term activity.
The other aspect is wear & tear and the cost of maintenance. A commuter bike needs to be specified with parts that cost as little as possible to replace when they wear. For this reason I would not be choosing anything with an 11-speed rear cassette, single front chainring, and requiring a narrow chain. All this stuff is several times more expensive to ride on than a hybrid style transmission that will have a much cheaper to replace 6/7 speed arrangement at the back and run a standard chain.

Last edited:

rivers

How far can I go?
Nothing wrong with commuting on an 11 speed 1x set-up. I commute on an 11 speed (though 2x) carbon bike when it's nice, and a 10 speed aluminium cx when the weather is a bit grim. My commute is 25-30 miles round trip (depending which route I take home), sometimes extended to around 50 miles on the way home. I don't spend loads of money in upkeep. 2-3 chains a year, which cost £10-£15 each, and a service a year (£60/bike, although my carbon bike is getting a full rebuild this year because it's nearing the 10,000 mile mark). Not everyone wants a bike they've found at the tip or abandoned in a river

nickAKA

Über Member
Hi all, im new to the biking world so ill apologise in advance if my message is off
Basically i want to get back into shape, so bike to work, always loved the idea of those long scenic weekends biking, so thought 'get into shape and get a new long term hobby too'
So the last few weeks been looking at road bikes, bit of research etc
Ive decided on the Boardman SLR 8.9c Road Bike
https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/road-bikes/boardman-slr-8-9c-road-bike-grey
Ive read the reviews and theyre all great
So, now to my issue. I went into Halfords today to buy, he asked me what id be using it for, i said to commute to work with, but also good rides on a Saturday leading to long rides for weekends etc. he said you dont want this for commutes, due to the roads, punctures, strains on wrists and arms etc (basically i dont have a clue but took him at his word). he said for commutes i need a hybrid, but for weekends away id want a road bike like the Boardman. So i just thought, im not buying 2 bikes, or even just 1 to either a- bike to work with but not use for a hobby, or b- just use it on saturday rides building up to long rides.
So, is he correct in what he says?
Cant i use the one like ive attached for work AND weekends? Id be using bike tracks to work etc.
Really sorry for the long message, but really would appreciate some advice on this
Thanks

Your tale is practically identical to a mate of mine who was ready to pull the trigger on a Boardman 9.0 earlier this week. He's 36 and been using my hybrid for the last few months to get fit. He, however, has damage to his lower back (join the club) so his flexibility is an issue. I'd been telling him to test ride it before buying one for this reason alone but it was falling on deaf ears simply because he liked the look of the Boardman, which is fine, but it ignores the actual reality of riding & living with an 'aero bike'.

Anyway, he borrowed a more sportive-shaped road bike for the Manchester-Blackpool run last weekend to get a proper feel of things... I swapped the stem for something shorter where he'd be a bit more upright to see how he coped with the distance on a more 'comfortable' bike. It all went OK thankfully and he wasn't put off by the miles. One of the other lads in the group also asked if an aero bike was really right for him for the same reasons I had (no collusion, honest) which lent a bit more gravitas to my concerns, but his heart was still set on the Boardman.

He's limited by C2W scheme so we went up to cycle republic in town to see it in the flesh on Tuesday. Lovely looking bike, decent price, but you could see when it was stood next to the other bikes how aggressive the riding position was comparatively. Still no budging... we had a chat with the lad who sells the things, gave him the background on my mate and asked his opinion. He basically said the same as me & the other lad - probably not right for you, given your flexibility issues.
We had a look at a few of the other bikes and it looks like we've made a bit of progress, there was an orbea that looked bang on, slightly cheaper and a very similar spec. Out of stock in the colour he'd like (naturally) but at least he's going down the 'head over heart' route now.

TL;DR - It's a nice bike, but is it right for you? Weigh up what you want to do on it before buying because if it ends up crippling you with discomfort you won't use it, end of.

vickster

Legendary Member
Your tale is practically identical to a mate of mine who was ready to pull the trigger on a Boardman 9.0 earlier this week. He's 36 and been using my hybrid for the last few months to get fit. He, however, has damage to his lower back (join the club) so his flexibility is an issue. I'd been telling him to test ride it before buying one for this reason alone but it was falling on deaf ears simply because he liked the look of the Boardman, which is fine, but it ignores the actual reality of riding & living with an 'aero bike'.

Anyway, he borrowed a more sportive-shaped road bike for the Manchester-Blackpool run last weekend to get a proper feel of things... I swapped the stem for something shorter where he'd be a bit more upright to see how he coped with the distance on a more 'comfortable' bike. It all went OK thankfully and he wasn't put off by the miles. One of the other lads in the group also asked if an aero bike was really right for him for the same reasons I had (no collusion, honest) which lent a bit more gravitas to my concerns, but his heart was still set on the Boardman.

He's limited by C2W scheme so we went up to cycle republic in town to see it in the flesh on Tuesday. Lovely looking bike, decent price, but you could see when it was stood next to the other bikes how aggressive the riding position was comparatively. Still no budging... we had a chat with the lad who sells the things, gave him the background on my mate and asked his opinion. He basically said the same as me & the other lad - probably not right for you, given your flexibility issues.
We had a look at a few of the other bikes and it looks like we've made a bit of progress, there was an orbea that looked bang on, slightly cheaper and a very similar spec. Out of stock in the colour he'd like (naturally) but at least he's going down the 'head over heart' route now.

TL;DR - It's a nice bike, but is it right for you? Weigh up what you want to do on it before buying because if it ends up crippling you with discomfort you won't use it, end of.
OP has moved on I think from a pure road bike and is test riding a Cannondale gravel bike soon instead...which could also be on the aggressive side presumably, hopefully a decent test ride will show

OP
OP
N

Noobie1983

Regular

Thanks for the message, yeah i was really set on that Boardman, but when i got to the shop to buy the 1st thing i noticed was the tyre size and how thin they were, even joined this forum to argue my point against the guy at the shops point of view haha.
Im hoping when i test ride the Cannondale Topstone its fine, cos if its not im gonna be starting right from the beginning

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Thanks for the message, yeah i was really set on that Boardman, but when i got to the shop to buy the 1st thing i noticed was the tyre size and how thin they were, even joined this forum to argue my point against the guy at the shops point of view haha.
Im hoping when i test ride the Cannondale Topstone its fine, cos if its not im gonna be starting right from the beginning
Might be worth asking how much to supply and fit 'crosstop brake levers' on a new bike, they might even throw them in as a 'sweetener' when you buy it.

View: https://youtu.be/gtPBPn3kXlM

nickAKA

Über Member

Sorry about the late response, it was so similar to my recent experience I felt duty bound to comment.

The Cannondale should be a bit more practical; it may take a while to get it 'just right' for you but you won't truly know straight off the bat. Take advice from the staff, they should be able to guide you as to the suitability when you finally get to sit on it.

OP
OP
N

Noobie1983

Regular
Sorry about the late response, it was so similar to my recent experience I felt duty bound to comment.

The Cannondale should be a bit more practical; it may take a while to get it 'just right' for you but you won't truly know straight off the bat. Take advice from the staff, they should be able to guide you as to the suitability when you finally get to sit on it.
Thanks for the advice Nick

OP
OP
N

Noobie1983

Regular
Bike bought last week, pedals delivered today, 1st go on it and shift gears wont change, no click. Any advice? Evans Cycles said i need to bring it back in if theres no 'click'.............not great when only rode it once for 5mins

alicat

Legendary Member
Just go back with it. There's a lot to set up and they might have missed something. It's not a sign the bike is defective. ^_^

Top Bottom