1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Road Bike Mirror

Discussion in 'Commuting' started by Smokin Joe, 1 Jul 2008.

1. Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe Legendary Member

2. numbnuts

numbnuts Guru

So were am I going to put my bar end shifters ???

3. fossyant

fossyant Ride It Like You Stole It!

Wrong, sooooo wrong !

4. Maz

Maz Guru

The angle of the mirror seems to be fixed relative to the drops, so I don't think it'll work for everyone.

5. Perry

Perry Senior Member

As a driver I'm not keen on bike mirrors.

Drivers feel more confident if a cyclist can see them. A quick turn of the head shows the rider is more confident and concerned about road safety.

If you use mirrors the drivers won't be sure if you have seen them.

6. magnatom

magnatom Guest

+1.

Also if you exclusively depend on a mirror you will have blind spots. I find turning my head and looking behind me works well! :smile:

7. John the Monkey

John the Monkey Frivolous Cyclist

8. Origamist

Origamist Guru

You can use a mirror and look behind you - the two are not mutually exclusive.

Most drivers are plenty "confident" enough already - sometimes a bit of uncertainty can work in your favour.

9. Crock of Gold

Crock of Gold Guest

How long before we get a live video feed from a rear-mount cycle camera played onto a little screen on the handlebars, showing everything that's going on behind with a mere glance.

Could even have a "virtual" helmet that can enclose the face. Inside the camera, there can be fed video cam from a 360 degree angle. With a software programme designed to identify hazards and flash a warning and taking control of the bike at crucial moments.

10. Mort

Mort Interstellar Overalls

Exactly. When I'm commuting I want as much visual feedback as I can get - meaning I use both mirrors and lifesavers before manoeuvering on the bicycle and on the motorcycle.

I don't think motorists behave differently if you have mirrors or if you don't and I'd be amazed if anyone could produce any evidence to the contrary.

On the aesthetics though, mirrors just look wrong on drops!

11. Wolf04

Wolf04 New Member

Crock of Gold;318908]How long before we get a live video feed from a rear-mount cycle camera played onto a little screen on the handlebars, showing everything that's going on behind with a mere glance.

Magnatom's best part of the way there now! As soon as he works out where to fit the aerodynamic 42 inch plasma screen he'll be sorted
    :smile:;)

12. Yorkshireman

Yorkshireman New Member

The last thing I want (as a cyclist) is drivers feeling 'more confident' if they think that I might have seen them. If I'm anywhere in front of another vehicle I expect the driver to at least treat me like any other road user, and observe my road positioning/signals. A mirror will not replace a quick turn of the head (The Life Saver), but it does help to keep a general eye on things behind (and my bike mirror shows as much behind as the centre and right hand rear view mirrors on my car). There's probably a reason why most (if not all) road motorcycles sold new over the past few years have all had two mirrors fitted :biggrin:.

13. 4F

4F Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby

14. Jaded

Jaded New Member

You can have that now. VIO POV-1

15. Maz

Maz Guru

Same here...I much prefer it when drivers use theirs, though. :smile: