Road Bike Mirror

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

numbnuts

Legendary Member
So were am I going to put my bar end shifters ???

Maz

Guru
The angle of the mirror seems to be fixed relative to the drops, so I don't think it'll work for everyone.

Perry

As a driver I'm not keen on bike mirrors.

Drivers feel more confident if a cyclist can see them. A quick turn of the head shows the rider is more confident and concerned about road safety.

If you use mirrors the drivers won't be sure if you have seen them.

Perry said:

Drivers feel more confident if a cyclist can see them. A quick turn of the head shows the rider is more confident and concerned about road safety.

+1.

Also if you exclusively depend on a mirror you will have blind spots. I find turning my head and looking behind me works well! :smile:

Origamist

Legendary Member
Perry said:

You can use a mirror and look behind you - the two are not mutually exclusive.

Most drivers are plenty "confident" enough already - sometimes a bit of uncertainty can work in your favour.

Wolf04

User1314;318908]How long before we get a live video feed from a rear-mount cycle camera played onto a little screen on the handlebars, showing everything that's going on behind with a mere glance.

Magnatom's best part of the way there now! As soon as he works out where to fit the aerodynamic 42 inch plasma screen he'll be sorted
:smile:;)

Originally Posted by Perry

magnatom said:
+1.

Also if you exclusively depend on a mirror you will have blind spots. I find turning my head and looking behind me works well! :smile:

The last thing I want (as a cyclist) is drivers feeling 'more confident' if they think that I might have seen them. If I'm anywhere in front of another vehicle I expect the driver to at least treat me like any other road user, and observe my road positioning/signals. A mirror will not replace a quick turn of the head (The Life Saver), but it does help to keep a general eye on things behind (and my bike mirror shows as much behind as the centre and right hand rear view mirrors on my car). There's probably a reason why most (if not all) road motorcycles sold new over the past few years have all had two mirrors fitted :biggrin:.

Jaded

User1314 said:
How long before we get a live video feed from a rear-mount cycle camera played onto a little screen on the handlebars, showing everything that's going on behind with a mere glance.

You can have that now. VIO POV-1

Worth looking here http://www.wildoo.co.uk/mirrors.htm (and no that's not the mirror that I use ... but I might if I had 'drops' :smile:.

This is the one on the tourer/main bike
2007_0826Mirror0006.jpg

it flips out of the way if it gets knocked (or for parking in bike stands), and I can flip it back into the pre-set position.

Top Bottom