Road Bike Mirror

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Yorkshireman said:
So on the recumbent you're in a slightly worse situation (re rear view) than me on an upright, as I have a 'touch of Arthur' in my neck/shoulders and whilst it varies from mild discomfort to 'ouch' I still manage the over the shoulder look. I like the mirror as it gives me a good idea of what's happening behind all the time. If (as is sometimes argued) it's a 'bad thing' to rely heavily on mirrors, recumbents should not be allowed on the road :biggrin: :blush:.

Yup, it's a disadvantage of very low recumbents like mine. I compensate to some degree by using arm signals, and pointing out the hazards on the road that I'm avoiding, plus waving through cars when I feel it's safe for them to overtake. I still do lifesaver looks though, as those are very possible and also very necessary to cover your blind spots. Just a mirror on it's own isn't enough.

Origamist said:
If anything, the temptation is to monitor rearwards too often. This can be dangerous as what is unfolding ahead of you usually presents more problems.
:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

BentMikey said:
Yup, it's a disadvantage of very low recumbents like mine. I compensate to some degree by using arm signals, and pointing out the hazards on the road that I'm avoiding, plus waving through cars when I feel it's safe for them to overtake. I still do lifesaver looks though, as those are very possible and also very necessary to cover your blind spots. Just a mirror on it's own isn't enough.

So ... To sum up - You and I (along with many others) use different types of machine on the highways and byways in a similar/the same manner making use of mirrors (at no time have I stated or implied that mirrors on their own are a good idea). :biggrin:

Cab

Do I recall correctly that someone was manufacturing a mirror containing helmet, rather like a periscope for seeing behind you but built in to the helmet?

Cab said:
Do I recall correctly that someone was manufacturing a mirror containing helmet, rather like a periscope for seeing behind you but built in to the helmet?

Yes I remember reading about that. No idea what it was called though.

Jaded

If anyone wants a Reevu helmet let me know!

gkilner

I have a blackburn drop bar mirror and for commuting in busy traffic, I feel it gives huge benefits.

I would spend half my time looking backwards if I didn't have it. I generally use it to spot a gap in the traffic, then do a quick look over my shoulder as a double check that it is safe to move out.

I also like to know what is coming up to overtake me, if it's a large 38 tonne wagon I like to know.

I can ride behind other cyclists for miles and they don't know I'm there, never checking over their shoulder to overtake parked cars etc. I know what's behind me at all times.

Cab

Jaded said:
If anyone wants a Reevu helmet let me know!

Why, do you have one and want rid of it, or do you flog 'em?

I'm curious about the Reevu, but don't know whether I really fancy one. How much do they go for?

Tynan

Veteran
when doing my biannual cbt scooter exams they drummed in over and over the essential life saver over mirrors, another maxim being 'never trust your mirrors'

I look whenever it's necessary, I rely ono my road position the rest of the time and concentrate up front, that's the likiest place for shoot to happen

and yes, I despair of other cyclists pulling wide to pass other vehicles with seemingly zero interest in what they might be pulling out in front of (me usually)

Top Bottom