Road Bike Mudguards.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Doug.

Veteran
Hello.
I have decided to use my road bike for this winters riding, consequently please can some one recommend good and suitable for road bike,23 m.m. tyres and Shimano 105 brakes mudguards.
The bike has no fixing mounting lugs,so alternative fixing means shall be needed and to be included with the 'guards
Be most grateful for replies.
Yours
Doug.

jayonabike

Powered by caffeine & whisky

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
+1 Cruds are excellent if you have the clearance. Far more coverage than race blades.

+2
I have tried both and i found the race blades a swine to fit, did not offer enough coverage and if you have bladed forks you are supposed to buy an adapter to make them sit straight as mine tend to not sit straight .

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
Crud Roadracers are excellent.

They can be fiddly to fit initially, but there are some good tips on the Crud website (I found gentle heating with a hairdryer was needed to allow the rear guard to find round the mech band correctly).

Since fitting I've pretty much forgotten about them - they just work.

jay clock

Massive member
I have a road bike which takes proper mudguards and has mounting points. It is a Trek 2.1. But even that bike it is a very very tight squeeze. I suspect that if your bike has no mounting points you are stuck with the crud type ones

400bhp

Guru
I have both crud roadracers (mk 2) and SKS raceblades.

Without posting a long drawn out reason I prefer crud roadracers (better coverage and protection) in the winter and SKS raceblades (easier to remove and refit) in the summer.

Andrew_P

In between here and there
I have been considering these for my Roubaix, but on some product customer reviews they refer to the sound of rubbing brushes? That would drive me nuts. Do they rest on the tyre?

scouserinlondon

Having toasted three sets of sks I'll never touch them again. Cruds all the way. I've had to put a shorter tail on my rear one as the bike is stored upright in the shed. Inspite of that they still offer better protection than race blades. Particularly around the front mech.

Enw.nigel

I have been considering these for my Roubaix, but on some product customer reviews they refer to the sound of rubbing brushes? That would drive me nuts. Do they rest on the tyre?

I've been using the Crud Roadracer 2's for the first time this winter and wished I'd come across them before. It was on this forum that I first learnt about them.
They offer really good protection to both the rider and the bike. It took me 2/3 rides to get them adjusted until they became completely silent but now I don't notice them at all. The 'rubbing brushes' should only come into contact with the brake rim in extreme circumstances and certainly not in contact all the time. This is where fine tuning the adjustments comes into play. I hate any strange noises when I'm cycling (from the bike that is) and the Cruds do not give me this.

Cubist

Still wavin'
I've fitted the Roadracer Mk2 to the Cube. I can confirm that they are indeed fiddly to fit, but once you've got them on properly they're great. The brushes don't touch all the time.

Top Bottom