road bike nightmare!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
just a quick one guys my tyres are 700x28/32c can i replace these with different size tyres if i wanted too? ie 700x 23 etc.. dont really understand these numbers and why so many diffarent ones on road bikes?
If your internal rim width is 15mm you could go 23mm, this page summarises it, the table at the bottom simplifies it. You'll gain a wee bit on speed but that might be weighed out by discomfort, Id be tempted to go for the middle-ground, which will definitely fit 700x25;)

OP
OP
M

macker71165

thnx for the info hlab

Bear in mind that the more puncture resistant tyres are the harder they tend to be to fit, at least IME.

The Schwalbe Marathon+ are cracking tyres, but mine where a pig to fit when I had some, but then again it's unlikely you'll need to remove them for a long time.

The tyres you linked to will probably be an improvement over your stock tyres, but also probably not as good as others.

Using your hands is probably not helping things, tyre levers allow you to gently push the tube up into the tyre when you get to the tight last bit.

Tyre pressure is also very important, too low and you can easily pinch flat on grids and manhole covers etc.

jackthelad

thanks a lot for getting back guys! i have only been using my hands to get the tyre on and been using plastic levers to get the tyre off! but you have all give me confidence that in time it will be a breeze to do! but am gonna get me some tyres as of now!! thanks again guys!

macker you are spot on just using your hands to put the tyre back on,using levers to put a tyre on can pinch the tube.

What i do is put the tyre on one side then put some air in the tube to give it some body then push the tyre over the tube into the rim starting at the valve,when you come to the last part of the tyre to go into the rim,take a drop of air out of the tube then place your thumbs at 9 and 3 oclock and work the tyre on to the rim with both thumbs meeting at 12 oclock.After this go around the rim check it is well in and push the valve up and down a few times to make sure it is moving freely,As they say it does not do any harm to pratice it a few times at home instead of waiting for a puncture.

OP
OP
M

macker71165

thanks for all your info guys it has been helpful! but can some one please explain am looking for new tyres! what does wired/folding mean?
and will 700x25 fit on my bike which is 700x28 ? thnx in advance wish i would have found this site sooner might have saved me alot of punctures!.. also my tyres state 120 psi max i gather this means i can go a bit below this? what do you guys ride at?.... thnx in advance!

D

Deleted member 20519

There should be a range on your tyre (I think it's anything between 80-120 psi). Having it up at 120 will give you the least rolling resistance. Having your tyre pressure too low will give you the risk of getting pinch flats. Anything below the lowest number on your tyre is a bad idea.

OP
OP
M

macker71165

thanks for all the info guys! wish i had found this site sooner might have saved me a lot of punctures!...sorry to be a pain but can you explain
if am going to buy new tyres what does folding/wired mean?..my tyres are 700x28/32 will 700x25c fit? my tyres say 120 psi max so gather this means i can go a bit below? what do you guys ride at?..thanks in advance

Berties

Fast and careful!
I had rear and front specific road slicks ,on my road bike ,now the rain has got the flints are out in force 2 days 2 punctures and a rupture,fitted folding gaitor skins something like 50 grms lighter than wired .Nice rolling tyre,good walls middle of the road price, keep them pumped hard,firm ride and saves on punctures !fit tyre and tube same as wheel easier to fit a proper tube IMO ,punctures all part of the rich tapistry of the country side riding

thanks for all the info guys! wish i had found this site sooner might have saved me a lot of punctures!...sorry to be a pain but can you explain
if am going to buy new tyres what does folding/wired mean?..my tyres are 700x28/32 will 700x25c fit? my tyres say 120 psi max so gather this means i can go a bit below? what do you guys ride at?..thanks in advance
I tend to run at 100psi, however I dont weigh much and this is the best compromise for me. The higher the psi the better it is believed tyre roll and the less likely the tube will be pinched against the rim, however the higher the psi the greater the discomfort (if you are uncomfortable) and lower psi tyres are also more controllable (especially on corners in the wet), hence why I say the best compromise for me you need to find the best for you. You can go up to 120psi with your tyres but that may not be optimum for you.
Wire tyres are held in shape by a wire bead, foldable ones dont have this and are lighter.
Like I was saying before, 700x25c will fit fine on your rims, check out the link it'll answer some questions.

OP
OP
M

macker71165

is it possible to repair a road bike flat using a puncture kit? i have tried many times but when i inflate tube it just expands and air still escapes!!

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Done lots of repairs on high pressure road tyres without problems. Hard to know where you are going wrong.

Wired tyres have a length of wire moulded in to form the bead on the tyre folding ones have a length of Kevlar fibre or similar moulded in which is lighter and allows you to fold the tyre up if you carry a spare.

good Luck.

compo

Veteran
is it possible to repair a road bike flat using a puncture kit? i have tried many times but when i inflate tube it just expands and air still escapes!!

Make sure you have good patches and fresh rubber glue, unless you are using glueless patches. Find the hole, then sandpaper an area around it to provide a key. Apply glue then put the tube to one side for a few minutes whilst you remove the covering from the patch. The glue on the tube should feel almost dry before you press the patch on. Cover the repair with chalk or talk to prevent the tube sticking to the tyre and job's done. Do not inflate the tube to see if air escapes. Inflate it just enough to take out wrinkles then refit in tyre. Now is the time to pump it up. The pressure against the internal tyre wall will press the patch even harder onto the tube and you should be good to go.

OP
OP
M

macker71165

ahhh cheers guys thinking about it the last time i done a repair on a tube was 30+ yrs ago on a releigh chopper! and they were easy! my mountain bike has never had a flat!! once again thanks guys!​

Top Bottom