Road bike on a canal path?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rovers1875

Veteran
I road the L & L at end June on a Hybrid, It did the job fine, but. I've since had to replace pads, cables and chain / cassette due to the mud and grit. I wouldn't want to spoil a good bike like the boardbam on the cut bank. If you intend to use the canal regularly get a cheap bike which you don't mind wrecking.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
The other month i cycled from Accrington to Blackburn on the Leeds/Liverpool canal, on my general use/pub road bike but with touring tyres fitted. I still have clipped pedals on it and i have to say that i wouldn't like to use spds while canal bank cycling, you seriously need your feet for balance and to push yourself along when the going gets tough.
The wheels started to clog up with mud to such an extent that they'd hardly go round as the wheel/frame clearance disappeared. I slipped a few times bumping my groin:ohmy: and shins, it was a more endurance than pleasurable experience!:cry:

G2EWS

Cycled from Pewsey to Reading by canal where I used to keep a cruiser at Mapledurham just up the Thames a fair few years ago.

Got to say I hated being on the towpath. You have to keep a keen eye on not falling in, dangers ahead including pot holes, people etc. And it hurts like hell on a mountain bike!

If you are going to amble along then I would think any bike should be enjoyable. But put your foot down and I would not go on a canal towpath.

I am sure it is still the same, but back then you had to get a licence to ride on the tow path as organised and sold then by British Rivers Authority, which may be Inland Waterways now. Not sure, but a google check should give you the answer.

Regards

Chris

Well as a dedicated aficionado of canalside cycling none of the problems (I see them as enjoyable challenges of canalside cycling BTW!) should stop someone enjoying a pleasant bimble along using a suitable ride.

There is still a licence yes, its merely an online form and I believe it exists so that if you are caught by BW (now the Canal & River Trust) misbehaving they can withdraw your right of access - most canal side paths are not rights of way.

My current ride is a 32c semi-slicked tourer with 'guards which is fine for all the canals I've tried, with the exception of the Lancaster as it was a grassy verge for the majority so no path at all! (I still did it as I'm stubborn lol - spent the entire day on bottom ring doing about 6-8 mph!)

G2EWS

Hi Wiggydiggy,

I totally agree that a bimble along the canal path is superb. The problems only happen when you want to push the puddle to the floor a bit harder!!

Bimbilling also means taking a camera and keeping an ever watchful eye out for the elusive Kingfishers that certainly frequent a couple of places on the Kennet and Avon!

Best regards

Chris

RhythMick

Über Member
I've done that path on the Kaffenback with 35mm Schwalbe M+ tyres but wouldn't do it on a road bike.

Poor grip plus mud after the floods right next to canals is why I gave up on SPDs.

Norm

I've done lots of canal-side riding, including Pewsey to Reading, and I love it. Mostly, I use the hard-tail with 26x2.1 tyres but I've done it on the Tricross with 32mm 700c tyres.

Canal is a very broad term, though. The K&A around Newbury to Theale is good, flat, well surfaced and without tight bridges. Around Bedwyn, the surface is pretty cut up and between the M4 and Rose Kiln Lane you are just riding through open fields.

So, in terms of taking to a canal path on a road bike, I'm not sure I'd want to approach somewhere new on one but there are plenty of places I'd happily ride on 23mm tyres.

Hi Wiggydiggy,

I totally agree that a bimble along the canal path is superb. The problems only happen when you want to push the puddle to the floor a bit harder!!

Bimbilling also means taking a camera and keeping an ever watchful eye out for the elusive Kingfishers that certainly frequent a couple of places on the Kennet and Avon!

Best regards

Chris

You've guiltily reminded me I've a collection of photos to publish from my verrrrrry slowwwwww bumpy bimble on the Lancaster Canal - allegedly (according to the boatmen I was chatting to) the 2nd most beautiful canal in the country.

So, couple random pics from my excursions:

Calder Valley Greenway route on the Calder/Hebble Navigation

P1030004.jpg

Lancaster Canal - Not so greenway (in a matter of speaking!)

P1030036.jpg

Lancaster Canal - The magnificent Lune Aqueduct by John Rennie

P1030057.jpg

Lancaster Canal - The lost northern section cut off by the M6 despite protests
(Also these 7 locks are the first locks on the canal for over 40 miles from Preston!)

P1030063.jpg

Teuchter

Über Member
Went for a ride along the Forth and Clyde canal on Sunday. Old road bike with 25mm tyres. Some of it was gravelly tarmac which was fine. A lot of it was potholed dirt which was manageable if taken relatively slowly. but pretty unpleasant in places. Some short bits were cobbled and less said about them the better.

After 20 miles I gave up and got onto the road for the return trip. Far less scenic but a lot smoother (yes even the roads around here!).

I did find using the tops of the drop bars (which I seldom use normally) was a lot comfier on the rough surfaces than using the hoods.

eborurbex

I used the Riddlesden to Bradley section on the LCC yesterday and it was abysmal you could not see the towpath and at points I had to push. not fit for a road bike at all
Today Skipton to Gargrave could not have been better a little muddy but nothing compared to yesterday

Hello guys i would like to know your thoughts on the following

I currently have Boardman Road Race Bike 2011 and have spent many hours on the roads of west yorkshire on it and it rides well. I have just moved to an area that is extreamly close to the leeds liverpool canal and i was thinking of taking it on there. is this a good idea? or just stupid?

thoughts please.

The bike won't break but it's bloody hard work doing canal path on a road bike. Slippy.

Top Bottom