road bike or mtn bike which is safer in the wet

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AndyRM

XOXO
Nothing really new to add, but whichever you choose, make sure you corner and brake with due care. I slid along in a most undignified fashion having mis-judged a roundabout last weekend.

I think most newbies to road bikes will think that the thin slick tyres on road bikes will have no grip and be very scary. The thick chunky tyres of an MTB will feel safe. It is almost a case of (as Rob says) suck it and see. Road bikes are fine in the wet and better than MTb's on knobbly tyres. Have confidence in the corners on road tyres and you will see (i hope).

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
I have to say that some tires do seem to grip better in the wet on asphalt and concrete roads, as do some tire widths and treads. I'm sure manufacturers have made a study of this. I also avoid metal, as well as striped lines. Things like sewer lids and road plates and bridge expansion joints. While more care is required, it seems to me there should be no problem riding in the wet on either bike. I prefer mudguards. Because it is not always mud or water you are riding through.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Nobody's mentioned brakes yet, they twice as long to stop in the wet. A new cyclist may not realize this.
It is actually easier to lock your wheels and skid in the wet than when it is dry, so why would you want brakes to be better than they are? It is tyre grip that is the problem in the wet, not lack of brake friction (providing you have decent brake blocks, and your rims are not nasty cheap ones made of stainless steel, and are kept clean).

adds21

Rider of bikes
It is tyre grip that is the problem in the wet, not lack of brake friction

Which is why I always find my road bike much better on wet roads than my MTB with proper off-road tyres. Knobbly tyres are excellent on the rough stuff, but on tarmac they offer much less grip than road tyres. More rubber in contact with the road = more grip.

Tread on road tyres is just for marketing. The slicker the better, even in the wet.

Top Bottom