Road Bike Set Up - Chain Ring Selection

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bobsinatra

Über Member
Hi

I am looking for some advice regarding my bike set up. I have attached a video.

My white Specialized bike often feels underpowered when on the flat. Looking at the chain set up, I noticed that it isn't sitting on the largest part of the chain ring. I don't know why it is sitting on a smaller chain ring.

Should I manually move the chain onto the larger outer ring to gain more power?

I ask, as my blue Boardman, which I use to commute with, sits on the outer ring and feels a lot more powerful. The Boardman is a much smaller bike, so I shouldn't feel like I could go a lot quicker on this bike.

In the video, Specialized is featured first and then the Boardman.

Advice appreciated.

View: https://youtu.be/ph4yeTcyeyc

sleuthey

Legendary Member
Which chain ring you use will not increase power - power is dependant on how hard and fast you pedal. if you want to increase speed then yes move to a larger chainring and use strength rather than tempo to go faster.

Am I missing something- it sounds like you don’t have a front derailleur?

There’s no front derailleur on the Specialized. It’s like someone’s taken a Langster and put a double chainring on it. In that case, either buy a ‘band on’ front derailleur, and a front mech brifter, and double cable guide for the frame under the bottom bracket, or buy a new single speed chain set / crank set, with a bigger sprocket than the existing small ring.

Globalti

Legendary Member
The video is filmed in portrait and wobbles around so much that it made me feel seasick. It doesn't show much of any use but I think the poor neglected Specialized does have a front derailleur. It also has a bent RH crank and what looks like a cracked bottom bracket.

This must be a wind-up?

OP, do you know what the front derailleur does and how to work it?

winjim

Smash the cistern
It has a front mech but @Globalti is right, I feel a bit poorly just watching it.

Globalti

Legendary Member
OP please film in landscape, stop waving the camera around and give us a slow shot of the front derailleur taken from the right of the bike without that lock. Or some stills might be better.

BigMeatball

what the actual fark

vickster

Legendary Member
Hi

I am looking for some advice regarding my bike set up. I have attached a video.

My white Specialized bike often feels underpowered when on the flat. Looking at the chain set up, I noticed that it isn't sitting on the largest part of the chain ring. I don't know why it is sitting on a smaller chain ring.

I ask, as my blue Boardman, which I use to commute with, sits on the outer ring and feels a lot more powerful. The Boardman is a much smaller bike, so I shouldn't feel like I could go a lot quicker on this bike.

In the video, Specialized is featured first and then the Boardman.

Advice appreciated.

View: https://youtu.be/ph4yeTcyeyc

Why should a bigger bike be faster with the same rider on it? :scratch::scratch:

The pros often ride smaller bikes to ride more aero / lower, a smaller frame will be a little lighter, smaller tubes apparently stiffer so if not ridiculously uncomfortable for mortals, a smaller bike could be better

https://www.trainerroad.com/forum/t/can-someone-explain-why-do-pros-select-smaller-frames/11412/6

Top Bottom