Road bike studded tyres?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Look at cyclocross tyres, not sure if they come in that size.
As for ice tyres. I doubt they come in 28mm. There is a method that uses zip ties to make your own ice tyre, but it only works if you use disc brakes.

OP
OP
Panter

Panter

Just call me Chris...
Thanks Gaz, I've not been able to find anything so I assume there's nothing available in that size but thought I'd check before planning ahead for the Winter commute

GrasB

Veteran
Apparently due to the tyre pressure at which the studs work properly, the tyre needs to easily deform to make proper surface contact, going narrower than 35c is a no-no.

OP
OP
Panter

Panter

Just call me Chris...
Many thanks all, appreciated.

No other options then, new bike time
biggrin.gif

potsy

Rambler
I need to find out if my Trek 7.1fx can take a 35mm studded tyre for this winter.
Currently run it on 28's but can't remember what the stock tyres were as they were changed to the M+ before it left the shop.

Could always get a new bike (CX) instead :thumbsup:

GrasB

Veteran
Many thanks all, appreciated.

No other options then, new bike time
biggrin.gif
... creative ways to justify N+1 :smile:

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
my winter studded tyres are at the lbs already, 35mm full studs, yippee, forgot which ones i ordered tho..lol...but i do know they're schwable.

OP
OP
Panter

Panter

Just call me Chris...
Nokian do a Hakkapelitta in a 32 if thats any good.

Thanks for that, I think a 28mm is about the upper limit for my rims unfortunately

please stop talking about winter
ohmy.gif

tongue.gif

Sorry
tongue.gif

I bugged me to have to post this thread but, as I've struggled through the last few Winters with inadequate kit I'm determined to plan ahead this Year. Plus, there was a real nip in the air this morning...

Attachments

• tongue.gif
    tongue.gif
    260 bytes · Views: 72
Top Bottom