Road bike suggestions for me?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
You've got the MTB version too if you want to be able to walk more than 100yds off the bike :smile:

The bike Comes with pedals and cleats. I guess OP will be looking for road shoes

OP
OP
T

thelawnet

So the bike is here.

A few things I need to deal with:

* Not got any shoes to match the pedals
* Not really got to grips with the shifting yet.
* Gears seem to be very poorly adjusted

Also when I asked I wasn't sure if I wanted Medium or Large. I've always ridden a Medium, but they only had Large in stock when I asked for it. Now Medium is in stock but I got the Large.

Standover in bare feet flat on the floor is pretty much touching my undercrackers, I normally have a lot of seat post showing, but with large it's only about 1/3 or 1/4 of the way up. The feeling I got was that the handlebars were therefore relatively too high, but this might be just because I'm not used to drop bars.

So not 100% sure if I want a size down or not....

vickster

Legendary Member
If it feels too big, size down...a too big bike is a potential recipe for disaster (and chronic injury as I found out). But base on reach and comfort and the ability to have the saddle height correct, not standover. You'd never be standing like that in reality without shoes

If gears poorly adjusted, get the shop to sort

Maybe one of the owners can advise on sizing, with a large bike regardless of the make it is probably made for someone 6ft+ at least

SteCenturion

I am your Father
Get Decathlon to swap the bike for you. If they advised you that the Large was o.k, & it's not, then you have been poorly advised & they shouldn't blink at changing the bike.

Sounds like this one is too big.

I also rub with plenty seatpost showing & this sounds like your 1/3 to 1/4 seatpost height is wrong for you.

OP
OP
T

thelawnet

I chose the size.

Their guidelines say: M 5' 8" to 6', L 5'11" - 6'1". I am 6', maybe 5'11.75"

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Is the OP used to bikes with compact /sloping tube frames? the alur looks to me like level top tube , as long as your seat height + reach + drop to bars are right it might be ok but if your not sure go back and compare it to a medium.

OP
OP
T

thelawnet

Well I wasted a day going to Decathlon in Reading today.

Basically they said they would prepare the Medium, I got to the store and apparently it was missing a brake cable or something like that so they wouldn't let me try it. Apparently the French guy who answered the phone had taken down my number wrong.

So I tried sitting on the Medium, but they wouldn't let me ride it because it had the missing brake cable. Then he said 'I think you actually need the Large', so I brought the large out of my car, but the seat post bolt had gone missing somewhere between home and Reading, so he lent me a bolt. And they wouldn't take my bike in for exchange I have to post it back if I want to exchange, because it had come from mail order, or come back to the store when they had a working Medium bike to try that. But he said 'why don't you try the large for a proper long ride, and then if it's not right or hurts, you can change it'.

Anyway I said 'the gears on my Large are bad, can you adjust them'. So he did while I went out to my car to look for the bolt. Came back and he was finished and removing his seat post bolt. He said 'they never do the gears properly in the mail order'. He then said 'You might find there is some chain rub because this is a double chainset but triple shifters'. I said 'so if they are in big chain front, big chain back, they will rub, but if it's not cross-chained it will be ok;. He said 'yes'.

So drove back home, put the bike back together, went out to ride it.

He had done nothing.....

Basically it's impossible to shift into the big ring at the front, and on the cassette at the back only the bigger rings work without rubbing.

So I gave up, because riding it is a waste of time.

Guess I need to find a proper bike shop to adjust the thing.

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
Well I wasted a day going to Decathlon in Reading today.

Basically they said they would prepare the Medium, I got to the store and apparently it was missing a brake cable or something like that so they wouldn't let me try it. Apparently the French guy who answered the phone had taken down my number wrong.

So I tried sitting on the Medium, but they wouldn't let me ride it because it had the missing brake cable. Then he said 'I think you actually need the Large', so I brought the large out of my car, but the seat post bolt had gone missing somewhere between home and Reading, so he lent me a bolt. And they wouldn't take my bike in for exchange I have to post it back if I want to exchange, because it had come from mail order, or come back to the store when they had a working Medium bike to try that. But he said 'why don't you try the large for a proper long ride, and then if it's not right or hurts, you can change it'.

Anyway I said 'the gears on my Large are bad, can you adjust them'. So he did while I went out to my car to look for the bolt. Came back and he was finished and removing his seat post bolt. He said 'they never do the gears properly in the mail order'. He then said 'You might find there is some chain rub because this is a double chainset but triple shifters'. I said 'so if they are in big chain front, big chain back, they will rub, but if it's not cross-chained it will be ok;. He said 'yes'.

So drove back home, put the bike back together, went out to ride it.

He had done nothing.....

Basically it's impossible to shift into the big ring at the front, and on the cassette at the back only the bigger rings work without rubbing.

So I gave up, because riding it is a waste of time.

Guess I need to find a proper bike shop to adjust the thing.
And people moan about Halfords!

If it's got triple shifters but only a double Chainset that is plainly wrong!
Personally I would get it sent back at their cost with a large mouthful of attitude to boot, not good enough.

Top Bottom