Road bike suggestions for me?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
T

thelawnet

Do they actually make separate double and triple shifters? I thought it's just a screw or something. Don't really know though... Edit: they do - http://www.evanscycles.com/search?query=5700+shifters&x=0&y=0 But I think the triple shifters should work fine if they are adjusted properly.

I can send it back, the only trouble is like I said it was a gift and I don't want to look a gift horse in the mouth so to speak and complain to the gifter.

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
Do they actually make separate double and triple shifters? I thought it's just a screw or something. Don't really know though... Edit: they do - http://www.evanscycles.com/search?query=5700+shifters&x=0&y=0 But I think the triple shifters should work fine if they are adjusted properly.

I can send it back, the only trouble is like I said it was a gift and I don't want to look a gift horse in the mouth so to speak and complain to the gifter.
No, forgot about that! Well it looks like you really should get it sent back/ take it back and just get all the issues resolved, it shouldn't matter if it came mail order or not it's all " Decathlon" I'm sure if you get it set up as it should be it will be a nice ride!

OP
OP
T

thelawnet

So here's what they said

You 14:35
hi I got an Alur 700 as a gift via mailorder
but it was setup very badly
I drove to the store in Reading, and they told me they had adjusted it
but it is still unrideable
Customer support agent - Eleanor 14:36
OK do you know what seems to be the problem as the best people to deal with this are the workshop
You 14:37
yes, it's the gears
they don't shift properly and also the chain is rubbing
Customer support agent - Eleanor 14:37
Ok I am sorry to hear that. If there are still problems you will need to return to the store workshop and they will be able to fix the problem
You 14:38
no I can;t do that I spent an entire day to drive there and they didn't fix it
You 14:38
I am not going to go back again
Customer support agent - Eleanor 14:39
Ok I am sorry to hear that unfortunately there is no way that we will be able to solve this issue other than through the store as these are where the workshops are located. If you are not happy with the service that you received there you will need to contact the store directly.
You 14:40
I understand that, but I have already been to the store and they didn't fix my problem and I spent a lot of time and money to drive there
I would like to get it serviced by a competent bike shop local to me
at your expense
Customer support agent - Eleanor 14:41
That is fine but unfortunately there is no way for us to refund these charges.
You 14:41
I'm sorry but you have a responsibility to provide me with a rideable bike
I have already given you two chances to do that
Customer support agent - Eleanor 14:43
I am very sorry but unfortunately you will need to contact the store directly to deal with this issue - there contact number is 01189569151 as they provided the service.
You 14:43
the bike was purchased online
Customer support agent - Eleanor 14:44
Ok if it was purchased online we will need the order details to look into this further
You 14:45
I don't have the order details, it was a gift
Customer support agent - Eleanor 14:45
This is why we are unable to assist you without any information so you have the option to contact the store.
You 14:46
I don't see how the store can help me
I can get the order details from the person who gave me the bike
but I don't have them now
but I want to know, if I bother the person who gave me the bike, what you are going to be able to do so that I have an actual rideable bike
Customer support agent - Eleanor 14:47
We would be able to refund the charges for a bike repair shop if this is still in warranty but only to the payment method paid for on the original order - otherwise the only option is to visit the store

OP
OP
T

thelawnet

So basically I have booked into LBS next Monday now for a gear service. If it's £20 or £30 I'll probably just write it down to experience.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

thelawnet

Well my son's guitar teacher came round. He worked in a bike shop for several years. He took a look and said he thought it is ever so slightly too big and that it looks like an 'XL' in any other brand (rather than an 'L').

He also said the derailleur limit screw was about as far out from proper adjustment as it could be. He wanted to fix it there and then, but he's got to teach my son guitar.

So maybe I will drive back to Reading and get another shittily setup bike, but in M.

Top Bottom