Road bike tyres, swapping front to rear.

Swapping tyres to even out wear.

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
All thing being equal you want the "good" tyre on the front so I'd not swap a half worn back tyre onto the front to even out the wear, but there is in theory some merit in putting new tyre on front and old front tyre on the back.

Personally I can't be arsed

The back tyre will wear out more frequently, and at least if my esperience is anything to go by will have more punctures, so my new back tyre is a slightly tougher / heavier one in any case. But my slightly lighter and "quicker" front tyre seems to remain punctureless-ish so is fine, and will in due course be replaced like for like I expect

D

Deleted member 1258

I've been doing this for years, when I need a replacement, normally once a year, the new tyre goes on the front and the old front tyre goes on the back, the back is binned. How much difference it makes I've no idea, but in the winter when its slippery anything that might make the front stick better is welcome.

U

User33236

This question popped into my mind tonight as I am planning to put my new Kinesis Crosslight wheels on my CX tomorrow and will be swapping over the tyres from the current set. I had noticed earlier this week that the rear was looking slightly more worn than the front. A quick search of Google threw up this old thread and, after reading it, will be putting the tyres on the same way they are now. CC helpful as always :smile:

andrew_s

Legendary Member
I'm wondering how long tyres last before perishing and needing replacements.
someone in our club got either 42,000 or 44,000 miles out of a pair of (original) Conti Top Touring 26x1.75 before he retired them due to them starting to perish and crack up.
That would have been over about 10 or 12 years

Edit:
Just voted "can't be bothered"
In theory, when the back tyre is worn out I move the front to the back and put the new tyre on the front, but usually it doesn't happen.

Last edited:

zacklaws

Guru
I always fit new tyre on the front and move the old front to the rear. Based on the mileage of Conti GP4000 S, I get 3000+ out of a rear tyre from new, If I move the front one (which also was fitted at the same time as the rear) to the rear when its worn out, I then can get 5000+ out of one, which means that I can squeeze an additional 2000+ miles out of a front tyre, unless of course I manage to badly damage it beyond repair.

Top Bottom