Road bike uncomfortable

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Paul_Smith SRCC

www.plsmith.co.uk
Out of (a lot of) interest, how did you produce the morphing between two bike geometries? I'm aware of sites like bikeinsights but nothing with that level of visuals.
I used BikeCAD Pro which you need to buy, but there are two free versions, one is 'online only' that doesn't have that morph feature but last year they introduced a second free option that does.

The new 'free' version like the 'Pro' is loaded directly onto a computer, (click for a link to the download page on their site) and compared to the online free version is far quicker. This version has a similar user experience interms of stability and speed to the Pro version but with limited features as you'd expect, although it does offer more features than the online version; such as that BikeCAD Morphing. The downside compared to the online version is you have to download the programme to your computer, that aside it's definitely the 'free version' to choose. I have reviewed BikeCAD on my blog that may have some tips you may find useful.

I have added those two drawings to their design archive for you but there are plenty of others you can use as a starting point, or you can use one from their quick start menu. If the stand alone free version is the same as the Pro to add a design from the design archive select File-Open Design from BCAD file on the web-then past the URL from the file you have chosen from the BikeCAD design archive into the pop up box
629016 629020

Last edited:

Twilkes

Guru
I used BikeCAD Pro which you need to buy, but there are two free versions, one is 'online only' that doesn't have that morph feature but last year they introduced a second free option that does.

The new 'free' version like the 'Pro' is loaded directly onto a computer, (click for a link to the download page on their site) and compared to the online free version is far quicker. This version has a similar user experience interms of stability and speed to the Pro version but with limited features as you'd expect, although it does offer more features than the online version; such as that BikeCAD Morphing. The downside compared to the online version is you have to download the programme to your computer, that aside it's definitely the 'free version' to choose. I have reviewed BikeCAD on my blog that may have some tips you may find useful.

I have added those two drawings to their design archive for you but there are plenty of others you can use as a starting point, or you can use one from their quick start menu. If the stand alone free version is the same as the Pro to add a design from the design archive select File-Open Design from BCAD file on the web-then past the URL from the file you have chosen from the BikeCAD design archive into the pop up box
Ah okay, looks great but neither of the bikes I'm interested in are in the library so I'll go with the stick-figure versions on bikeinsghts for now. :smile:

Paul_Smith SRCC

www.plsmith.co.uk
Ah okay, looks great but neither of the bikes I'm interested in are in the library so I'll go with the stick-figure versions on bikeinsghts for now. :smile:
Yes bikeinsights seems to be far more about doing a quick geometry comparison, hopefully from their ever increasing library. If what you are considering isn't listed you have the option of being able to add to and update their data base personally.

BikeCAD is more about bicycle design; all be it as in my example it can also be used for comparing one to another if both have been drawn up, although it's very unlikely you will find what you need in their design archive so normally you'd need to compose them yourself; so expect to invest far more time compared to bikeinsights, especially if the latter already have the bikes in their library. Note that each of my BikeCAD examples would have been far quicker with a more basic drawing; although these may still give you enough of a visual comparison. Once you have the hang of it composing each doesn't take long at all, especially the second drawing as you simply update and edit the first; the Ribble and Domane I referenced earlier redone from scratch but in a more basic form only took a few minutes.
629031 629032
Although I have not shown much data, as you can see on one of my personal drawings below even on the free version you can include quite a lot more should you want to.
In conclusion unless you enjoy experimenting with some impressive free software like BikeCAD; which although some do lets face it the majority probably won't, then bikeinsights does seem to be aimed at those who want to research the comparisons without going into such detail as I have.

Last edited:
Top Bottom