Road bike uncomfortable

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Martinsnos

I find my road bike quite uncomfortable.
The symptoms - aching all over really but shoulders bad and back a little.
I’ve never really got on with the cleated pedals for one thing.
With a propensity for on-line buying these days being ‘fitted’ seems a less likely option.
I believe I could get a gravel bike for road use and have a slightly more upright position?
Would caged pedals and a gravel bike drastically worsen my speed or would the potential comfort they bring outweigh any disadvantage do you think?

Be really interested to read views on ‘road’ bikes and comfort.

Many thanks in advance.

vickster

Legendary Member
You can still get a fit from a bike shop.
Is the frame the right size? Have you flipped the stem? Are all the spacers below the stem etc?
How’s your general fitness, flexibility, core?
Gravel bikes will still vary in terms of position

OP
OP
M

Martinsnos

You can still get a fit from a bike shop.
Is the frame the right size? Have you flipped the stem? Are all the spacers below the stem etc?
How’s your general fitness, flexibility, core?
Gravel bikes will still vary in terms of position
Frame size I think yes.
I don’t really know about flipping but the mechanic guy seemed to think the bars are right. Interestingly re spacers there was so little play to tighten that central bolt (don’t know name) the mechanic was worried the handlebars could come off [and it is a fairly decent bike].
I’m pretty fit, maybe half a stone overweight, so hoping losing weight will help and I’m 53, which can’t do much about - averaged 17.6mph over 28 miles first ride for a while, so don’t think that is too shabby.

OP
OP
M

Martinsnos

Get a fit at a decent lbs or maybe even better by a physio given you have specific pains.
Flipping the stem is super easy as is getting g one with a bit more angle
Thanks. Our PT friend recommends a bike fitter person, so might have to take the plunge. My wife is my biggest pain, so if he can help with that all the better!!!

Punkawallah

Über Member
Before you take the ‘plunge’, try lowering the seat by small increments, see if that makes a difference. It does not take too much excess seat height to throw weight forward on the bars. Good luck :-)

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Everything you've posted suggests your first action should be a bike fit. There are lots of little tweaks which can be made to improve comfort but none of these will work if your basic position is wrong.

To my mind your comments regarding back and shoulders suggest some or all of the following are possibilities; you are leaning forward too much and putting all the weight through your arms, this could be bar height is too low, your head is too low causing you to hold it up with the neck muscles rather than it be held naturally, you're reaching forward too much the frame could be too big or the seat position is wrong.

A gravel bike is more comfortable but buying one which is the wrong size or is badly set up won't solve any of these issues.

I have bike fits by a physio who is also a tri-athlete so he understands cycling. If you can a find a physio with similar interests it should work well. My guy charges £80 for a two hour session. There's no need to pay £250/300 as one often heard quoted.

OP
OP
M

Martinsnos

Everything you've posted suggests your first action should be a bike fit. There are lots of little tweaks which can be made to improve comfort but none of these will work if your basic position is wrong.

To my mind your comments regarding back and shoulders suggest some or all of the following are possibilities; you are leaning forward too much and putting all the weight through your arms, this could be bar height is too low, your head is too low causing you to hold it up with the neck muscles rather than it be held naturally, you're reaching forward too much the frame could be too big or the seat position is wrong.

A gravel bike is more comfortable but buying one which is the wrong size or is badly set up won't solve any of these issues.

I have bike fits by a physio who is also a tri-athlete so he understands cycling. If you can a find a physio with similar interests it should work well. My guy charges £80 for a two hour session. There's no need to pay £250/300 as one often heard quoted.

Many thanks. The one the PT recommends is £100, so that sounds about right.

RoadRider400

Some bloke that likes cycling alone
Are you able to post a photo of you seated on the bike? It can be rather difficult to work out where your problems lie without seeing your position.

I purchased my first road bike second hand without a fitting after working out the 'correct' frame size by reading opinions on the internet. After taking it out for the first few rides I reached the conclusion that it was slightly too large. I swapped out the standard stem for a shorter version and put the seat lower and further forwards, this made riding much more comfortable. After a year or so I gradually needed to raise the seat and move it further back again. I am also considering putting the original stem back. It transpires that rather than the bike being too large it was my lack of mobilty that prevented me getting into the correct position.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Also sounds like you might be riding stiff armed. Make sure you bend at the elbows and keep them relaxed.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Much depends upon how long you've been riding one. I can't do more than about two hours on mine, as I broke my spine 5 years ago, and, despite continuing to ride MTB, I didn't touch the road bikes other than on a turbo trainer. It's going to take some time to get used to the position again after 5 years.

Tbh you haven't been out for a while and you've done a very decent pace there. Have you just been pushing too hard ?

Photos of you on the bike in kit might help and what tyres and pressure are you riding ?

Top Bottom