Road Bike vs Gravel Bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BigMeatball

Which is best for long distance?
What’s the difference between the two?

From my limited knowledge, they're similar. It's a bit confusing because there is no neat distinction and also various names that mean pretty much the same thing. I've seen basically the same bike being called gravel bike, endurance road bike, adventure road bike....

For long distance rides I'd pick a gravel bike for 2 reasons:

1) a little more relaxed geometry compared to road bikes
2) bigger tyres usually mean you can ride on lower pressure, making the ride more comfortable

vickster

Legendary Member
From my limited knowledge, they're similar. It's a bit confusing because there is no neat distinction and also various names that mean pretty much the same thing. I've seen basically the same bike being called gravel bike, endurance road bike, adventure road bike....

For long distance rides I'd pick a gravel bike for 2 reasons:

1) a little more relaxed geometry compared to road bikes
2) bigger tyres usually mean you can ride on lower pressure, making the ride more comfortable
1) To some roadbikes

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Any roadbike will do that. Mudguards are a good idea if riding in wet conditions so check for clearance

Steel era bikes tend to be more generous with frame clearance, apart from pure racers. A lot of more recent models are stupidly tight, and mudguards have to be bodged on, as the bike was not really designed for them. There's also the unwanted sort of compromises; either you can have tyres that are wide enough to be comfortable but suffer a wet arse and skunk stripe up your back if it rains, or you can bodge something up to keep you relatively dry but then have to have skinny tyres that rattle your fillings. Neither option is a very appealing prospect to me, but marketers don't like putting mudguard eyes and practical clearances on regular road bikes anymore.
Anyone would think the UK had, over the last 20 years, turned into an arid desert where it never rains...

BigMeatball

Steel era bikes tend to be more generous with frame clearance, apart from pure racers. A lot of more recent models are stupidly tight, and mudguards have to be bodged on, as the bike was not really designed for them. There's also the unwanted sort of compromises; either you can have tyres that are wide enough to be comfortable but suffer a wet arse and skunk stripe up your back if it rains, or you can bodge something up to keep you relatively dry but then have to have skinny tyres that rattle your fillings. Neither option is a very appealing prospect to me, but marketers don't like putting mudguard eyes and practical clearances on regular road bikes anymore.
Anyone would think the UK had, over the last 20 years, turned into an arid desert where it never rains...

Spot on analysis.

Even going down the "clip on mudguards" route is not going to be successful. They're still tricky to fit and often need trimmed, they don't offer as good a protection as fixed mudguards, and not all tyres widths are covered either! If you've got a chunky tyre like I have on my adventure road bike (38mm) then you're out of luck. Wet arse it is :okay:

BigMeatball

@BigMeatball
Any gravel bikes you would recommend?

Not sure I'm the best person to ask for advice. I bought my first gravel bike 4 months ago.

I've got a Boardman adv8.8 and I'm pretty happy with it so far. Good bike for the money although I'm already thinking about changing a couple of things, first thing being the saddle.

Don't know, if you are a beginner like me, brands like boardman, pinnacle, merida, giant/liv are good entry-level bikes and give you everything you need to get you started and more.

What can the other more experienced members of the forum add? :okay:

I am in the market for a adventure road/gravel bike at the moment, being an advocate of try before you buy, im having trouble as no-one seems to have stock in an actual shop that I can go and have a look at/try.

all points made about tyre clearances and frame geometry are valid observations.

for distance, I would imagine of you're not an out and out racing cyclist, I think the gravel/adventure type thing would be fine.

as others have said, tourers are also similar but I have a tourer, a Dawes Horizon. it is as smooth as you like over paths and roads but it rattles around off road on tow paths etc. its a great bike but I think the gravel adventure would be a little beyond what I would like to put it through.

I have a genesis equilibrium and a day one, both great bikes also but the equilibrium has 28mm contis on and I would not get much bigger tyre with a decent tread on that. the day one is great along tow paths and muddy flat fields but its hard going on anything with a slight incline in the wet. the day one would be a very comfortable bike over distance, it has massive clearance for up to 50mm tyres (check this before you hold me to it) but I would need more gears, hence the Croix De Fer from the same brand is on my list.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Getting low enough gearing on this type of bike seems to be a common problem, so that's something for the OP to look out for.

Anything remotely aimed at CX racing will not have a low first gear because CX racers jump off and run when the rest of us would spinning away.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Have a chat with Northfield Cycles and BikePro in Kings Heath for some thoughts. Might be an idea to get a bike from them and develop a relationship to help you improve yourself and your bike later on.

Otherwise further afield you have Halfords Selly Oak, Evans in the city centre (do your own research before you buy) or Specialized Concept Store (Fort Dunlop). Or Ribble bicycles in the Mailbox.

Top Bottom