Road Bike with Shimano 105 for £800 and under?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Welshdan

Regular
Good day all.

I really hope the 'no question is a bad question' mantra applies here.

I'm an extreme noob. The last bike I rode was a Raleigh activator which compared to today's machines was like cycling a Mini Cooper. Now I've read various forums, and had convinced myself a hybrid was the way to go. However, several visits to LBS's have convinced me a road bike is what I should have. I have a few colleagues at work who cycle and 1 in particular is a regular 50-100 miler so I value his opinion. He is recommeding that shimano 105 are the best components and I should look for a bike with said components. My budget is £800 via cyclescheme. I've looked at Google but I'm just getting more confused. Is there a road bike with these components throughout or would they only be available at a higher budget.

Currently I've been looking at the Scott speedster S50 which has SRAM RED components.

Any comments greatly appreciated

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Good day all.

I'm an extreme noob. The last bike I rode was a Raleigh activator which compared to today's machines was like cycling a Mini Cooper. Now I've read various forums, and had convinced myself a hybrid was the way to go. However, several visits to LBS's have convinced me a road bike is what I should have. I have a few colleagues at work who cycle and 1 in particular is a regular 50-100 miler so I value his opinion. He is recommeding that shimano 105 are the best components and I should look for a bike with said components. My budget is £800 via cyclescheme. I've looked at Google but I'm just getting more confused. Is there a road bike with these components throughout or would they only be available at a higher budget.

Currently I've been looking at the Scott speedster S50 which has SRAM RED components.

Bit of a push to find 105 at that price-point unless you are able to find a good clearance deal. Don't get hung up on components - buy a nice bike that fits and get riding!

Nothing wrong with Tiagra in terms of functionality - doesn't have under the tape cabling which is not end of the world.

Look at bikes like this - lovely machine. All the big outfits do something similar. Budget another £200 for other 'stuff' beyond your £800 - assume you have? Or maybe you have everything else you need?

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-gb/bikes/model/2013.giant.defy.2/11833/56805/

I may not do regular 50+ miles or ever used anything beyond sora, but my setup shifts pretty well, its not perfect due to the fact its 7sp with an 8sp cassette, so as spokeydokey says don't get hungup about groupsets, and my bike cost £300 in 2008, however there has been a lot spent on it in relative terms (i.e. expense v income).
This evening ride.
http://app.strava.com/activities/71908515

OP
OP
W

Welshdan

Regular
Thanks for the input both. To turn my question around a bit then, is there anything I should avoid brand wise? Impressive number there nigelnaturist. Will take me a while to get to that lebel

Stephen brown

Good day all.

SRAM RED for £800...please point me to it............

How about this Sensa Romagna http://www.merlincycles.com/bike-shop/bikes/road-bikes/sensa-bikes/sensa-romagna-special-2013.html

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Scott Speedster new has Shimano 2300, which is the bottom groupset?
Yes, Stupid thumb buttons and inability to shift in the drops. It's also 8 speed when most if not all 2013 bikes with groupsets beyond sora are 10spd. Always something that should be considered, an upgrade probably won't be cost effective.

As above, as an extreme noob, 10 speed Tiagra will be more than sufficient
105 is nicer asthetically, but to get that at £800 you don't get the whole groupset inc brakes generally.

OP
OP
W

Welshdan

Regular
SRAM RED for £800...please point me to it............

How about this Sensa Romagna http://www.merlincycles.com/bike-shop/bikes/road-bikes/sensa-bikes/sensa-romagna-special-2013.html

This is what I've been looking at with SRAM RED components

http://www.damianharriscycles.co.uk/prod/rac_0113_sc/Scott/Speedster-S50

vickster

Legendary Member
Have you confirmed the spec with them? The SRAM red stuff costs more for the components alone

Especially as it says right at the top...
Please confirm your bike's specifications with a member of staff.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
First off, there is an awful lot of bike snobbery and deeply entrenched personal opinions and thoughts on bikes and kit, it is an absolute minefield asking for advice without having slung your leg over the crossbar of a good few different bikes - that is the essential thing to do.

secondly: what cycling you are doing informs the bike that will best suit you. your mate as a committed experienced cyclist doing 50-100 miles in one go, buying a bike with drops and high end componentry is a no brainer. but if as a newbie you're starting out on a couple of miles to and from work wearing a backpack with your butties in, much less so.
Even if you use it for increasingly length excursions as you get into it, nowadays even very basic components will get you going and keep you so. In Top Gear term, do you need a flappy paddle gearbox to drive to Tesco?

I'd suggest you put cotton wool in your ears, ignore the internet, go to a few different bike shops (different opinions, different deals, different suppliers) and test ride different bike types, flat and drop bar. Suss out in practice, what YOU find comfortable and will be happy riding.

I don't know if you're a millionaire seeking to cock a snook at the taxman or if £800 on C2W will put you on a baked beans diet for a year but cycling isn't for everybody.
If you are so totally new to it and haven't ridden in and around cars recently, is £800 money you can afford to experiment on?

If not, it might be prudent to pick up a cheap and cheerful second hand bike (gumtree £50 will get you riding) to be sure you will actually like it and will commit as much as you love the idea right now, then in 6-12 months you'll have had more time and breathing space to find out cheaply what works for you and can go looking with more confidence and clarity for how to lash out a goodly sum of money on something to really get your riding career going.

OP
OP
W

Welshdan

Regular
First off, there is an awful lot of bike snobbery and deeply entrenched personal opinions and thoughts on bikes and kit, it is an absolute minefield asking for advice without having slung your leg over the crossbar of a good few different bikes - that is the essential thing to do.

secondly: what cycling you are doing informs the bike that will best suit you. your mate as a committed experienced cyclist doing 50-100 miles in one go, buying a bike with drops and high end componentry is a no brainer. but if as a newbie you're starting out on a couple of miles to and from work wearing a backpack with your butties in, much less so.
Even if you use it for increasingly length excursions as you get into it, nowadays even very basic components will get you going and keep you so. In Top Gear term, do you need a flappy paddle gearbox to drive to Tesco?

I'd suggest you put cotton wool in your ears, ignore the internet, go to a few different bike shops (different opinions, different deals, different suppliers) and test ride different bike types, flat and drop bar. Suss out in practice, what YOU find comfortable and will be happy riding.

I don't know if you're a millionaire seeking to cock a snook at the taxman or if £800 on C2W will put you on a baked beans diet for a year but cycling isn't for everybody.
If you are so totally new to it and haven't ridden in and around cars recently, is £800 money you can afford to experiment on?

If not, it might be prudent to pick up a cheap and cheerful second hand bike (gumtree £50 will get you riding) to be sure you will actually like it and will commit as much as you love the idea right now, then in 6-12 months you'll have had more time and breathing space to find out cheaply what works for you and can go looking with more confidence and clarity for how to lash out a goodly sum of money on something to really get your riding career going.

I appreciate you taking the time to post.

The budget I have is such because I've decided to end my Gym membership, and recently took part in a charity cycle ride on a borrowed bike and caught the bug. I'm spending £35 a month on a gym membership and to be honest I'm fed up of waiting around to use machines even at quiet times. Ideally the budget was to buy a bike that's going to last and some of the accessories I will need. I also have £100 worth of Halfords vouchers to help me with that.

There are loads of cycle paths in the South Wales valleys, and plenty of quiet roads. My aim is to get fitter but also to relax and enjoy my downtime from work.

I appreciate everyone's input.

Widge

Baldy Go
Something about that just looks wrong to me!:dry:

SRAM red, carbon throughout,,,,,,,,,,,,? Hhhmm.....I note the weight is given as 13.00 (kg?) and the let out clause '.........please consult the dealer to confirm exact specs.....'

Of course, I'm just a grumpy old cynic!^_^
Put me down for ten!

w

OP
OP
W

Welshdan

Regular
Have you confirmed the spec with them? The SRAM red stuff costs more for the components alone

Especially as it says right at the top...
Please confirm your bike's specifications with a member of staff.

Thanks for pointing that out. At the moment I'm going off the website but will pop in tomorrow to check the full specs. Seems strange to advertise it like that if its wrong though

Top Bottom