Road bikes - a few questions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I use a Camelbak on the road. I carry isotonic in my bottle cage, and pure water in the camelbaks.

Only for 30 miles plus journeys though. Just do whatever you want, don't go by what you think is 'right' or 'wrong' :smile:

Herzog

Swinglish Mountain Goat
I've heard of pro TT riders wearing them on their fronts. Must be an aerodynamic thing I guess?

Frank Schleck, brother of Tour de France winner Andy (just wanted an excuse to write that).

pepecat

Although, I prefer the road bike to look unladen, and carry all my stuff in a rucksack.

I find that strange...... is it the look of the bike that's important to you then? (i don't mean that in an accusatory way, just curious). I'm guessing it's not a weight thing, cos whether the stuff is in your rucksack or on a bike, it still adds weight. Personally, i don't want anything on my back where it's getting all hot and sweaty and annoying - i'd rather have it under the seat. I don't really mind what it looks like. Do aesthetics really come into play here? Guess i'd rather I look 'sleek and sporty' (ho ho), rather than the bike!

Dags11

One tip given to me a few yrs ago, was on longer rides to carry a drink in your jersey & after 20+ miles drink it and bin the plastic bottle.
You & the bike, with a couple of nonbinable drinks in tow, are now suitably refreshed to pander off

Bman

Guru
I find that strange...... is it the look of the bike that's important to you then? (i don't mean that in an accusatory way, just curious). I'm guessing it's not a weight thing, cos whether the stuff is in your rucksack or on a bike, it still adds weight. Personally, i don't want anything on my back where it's getting all hot and sweaty and annoying - i'd rather have it under the seat. I don't really mind what it looks like. Do aesthetics really come into play here? Guess i'd rather I look 'sleek and sporty' (ho ho), rather than the bike!

I dont really know. I've always worn a rucksack so It doesnt bother me. I tried putting a saddle bag on the road bike, but it didnt look right. Fitted to the MTB it seems to look the part.

The road bike is a light fast machine, I suppose I just want it to look as light and as fast as possible. :smile:

freewheelwilly

Plenty of room in those kidney pockets for key tool, spare inner, skabs, food, sleeves, gillet and phone if you're just going out on a ride be it 5 miles or 50.

freewheelwilly

Oh, and the road bike? Just so much fun. Light, fast responsive. You'll end up looking like a lycra clad lunatic even if you intend not to at the beginning...

Globalti

Legendary Member
I swopped from mountain biking to road riding after 22 years on the MTB. They way to estimate it is on time spent; on the MTB I used to average 9 mph if I was in a hurry (Polaris trailquest or something) or as little as 6 mph if cruising or if the terrain was difficult. On a road bike it's normal to ride non-stop for an hour or more and going steady and riding solo on a flat road I can easily average 17 mph. So that's 17 miles as opposed to 6 - 9, a big difference.

Since I started road riding I find that an hour on the turbo trainer is much more bearable because I have so much more mental discipline.

stu1903

Über Member
I carry a spare tube in my jersey / jacket, a spare tube, tools, co2 plus spa cartridges in my saddle bag, two bottles on the frame and a backup hand pump which has a bracket which attaches to the side of the bottle cage.

I wear baggy shorts with lycra one underneath and cycle jerseys, jackets and in the cold months bib tights. Will eventually move to full on lycra but not got the balls, excuse the pun, for that yet. Also like having the pockets on my shorts for my phone and inhaler.

Top Bottom