Road bikes - a few questions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bigsharn

Veteran
Where do road bike users keep their drinks? i use a camel bak, but i never see roadies with them, surley you must use more tham just one bottle?

Where do you keep the spare tube and tools? i know you can put a pump on the frame and use a saddle mount for a small bag, but again i never seem to see these, also, adding weight doesnt seem to be the thing to do.

Is there an alternative to lycra? i wear baggy 3/4 shorts normaly, this would probably look silly on a road bike.

Lastly, why do you like a road bike, for me getting out on a mtb gets me out in the fresh air and with nature, a roadie, hmmm diesel fumes and cars? I like the idea of a light and fast bike, just not sure of what i would do with one.

Cycle clubs are quoting +40 miles and 16 - 20 mph average :eek: is that really possible? I couldn't keep up with that for 5 miles, so the club thing would be a no go i think.

(in order, from me)

Backpack I carry 2 bottles of cheap, crap flavoured water (it does the trick, and it means I can vary my flavours)

Backpack (multitool, P'repair kit, tyre levers and handpump

I wear normal clothes when road cycling, there's nothing wrong with it as long as you're not in a club or anything

MANY more positions to put your hands. I find track bars (or TT bars) are perfect ergonomically, but I use drops at the moment because I'm on campy ergoshifters (why fix what ain't broke?)

It's perfectly doable. I used to use an MTB for everything (with slicks, mind) clocked 2 hours from York-Wetherby. On my roadie I manage it in just over an hour.

OP
OP
Peteaud

Peteaud

Veteran
I always thought camel baks and saddle mount bags are a no no because they dont use them on the TDF and races as such.

pepecat

I don't have a support car following me giving me water and fixing a puncture, so unlike the TDF guys, i use a saddlebag as well!

Two bottle cages so I have plenty of water. Generally when i'm out i pass at least one newsagent or petrol station and can buy some more if i need it.
Most spares i need fit in the saddle bag thing and thus far (finds wood and grabs it) i've not had a puncture.
Pump is a frame mounted one. I'm not racing when i cycle so the wee bit extra weight is not an issue.

Road bikes are fast, light, fun to ride, comfortable (when you get the set up right).... um..... why do i like them.... well i had a mountain bike, and hardly ever went off road, so was riding a clunky thing round Cardiff and not particularly liking it.
You don't HAVE to join a club - lots of people don't. I'm not in one. I do 20, 30, 40 mile rides and take it at my own pace, usually around 12ish mph. Suits me fine, i enjoy it, can go where i like (usually around Warwickshire just south of Brum or up over towards Clent hills), at whatever speed i like..... Guess that's why i like road bikes!

topeak-side-kick-survival-tool-wedge-saddle-pack.jpg

Is this sort of thing frowned upon?
Why would that be frowned upon.
Back to your original questions
Bottles: I fit two cages but often only use one unless I'm on solo 100 milers, you can always fill up at cafe stops;
Pump/ Tube: I keep mine in my rear pockets and depending upon the ride there might also be a gilet/jacket, bananas/cereal bars or a cafe lock in there in there. In the Wedge bag I just put the keys and multitool (with tyre levers), although sometimes cereal bars are also in there. The main thing for me, with a wedge bag is its a clip point for a rear light.
Lycra: I used to be image conscious and wear Endura Humvees (3/4 mtb baggies too); I don't think there is a law saying you cant (not in my book anyway) just lycra is more efficient, for example humvees become very heavy in the wet but lycra hardly does.
Point: a road bike is exhilarating (speed :rolleyes:) and you don't need to stick in traffic but like your mtb get away from the beaten path (just not as rough) and you can cover more ground in the same time as a mtb, see more.
Speeds: they speeds are very feasible, with drafting/ the motivation of a club etc, my last club ride was 18.2mph for 75miles but that's moving time including the cafe stop/ p'ture stops it was only around 15mph. You'd be surprised what you can achieve.

why do i like them.... well i had a mountain bike, and hardly ever went off road, so was riding a clunky thing.
That's how I came to get my first road bike. I had road bikes growing up, but as an adult I was always an MTB guy, but I ended up putting road tyres on and never venturing off road. I even bought a carbon framed MTB a few years ago, and while it was much lighter it was still a veritable donkey on the road compared to a road bike.
If money was no object I'd have one of everything, but it' not so I no have plans of ever buying an MTB again ^_^

Orange

For commuting I use a rack bag; weekend rides, pockets are good enough. Drinks? Don't need them - a cup of coffee half way round the last Forum ride was plenty. Maybe a really long ride in summer would need a drink but that's what cafes/shops are for.

OP
OP
Peteaud

Peteaud

Veteran
For commuting I use a rack bag; weekend rides, pockets are good enough. Drinks? Don't need them - a cup of coffee half way round the last Forum ride was plenty. Maybe a really long ride in summer would need a drink but that's what cafes/shops are for.

See i go through 2litres on a bike ride with ease (MTB) although i naturally drink a lot anyway, so i cant imagine not carrying at least that. I find i get dehydrated quickly.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
absolutely nothing wrong with wearing a camelback on a road bike either. In fact there's nothing wrong with doing what you want to do, how you do and what you wear on a road bike. If anyone has anything negative to say then they are a no nothing snob and you don't need to be riding with people like that.

I always thought camel baks and saddle mount bags are a no no because they dont use them on the TDF and races as such.
Some riders do use camelbaks in the TdF, the only reason they don't use saddlebags is they are trying to get every possible weight advantage and they don't need them with a good support team, if they were on their own they would.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
I use a camelbak cause i suffer badly with dehydration can also put keys and stuff in the extra pockets it has - as yet i aint had a puncture i use conti gator skins

do what you want on a bike - you don't have to conform to anything except the rules of the road as set out in the highway code.

donnyjnk

I have both a MTB and a roadie. I have seperate set ups for them. MTB is a camel back and it tends to keep everything out the way. What may be worth looking at is the equipment available for your type of riding but you learn alot from other people and from forums like this. I also have a bottle cage on the MTB. Might be worth getting a bike tool. These tend to more compact. Also consider the CO2 pumps. You can get different sized cartridges. I use 16g ones. they can inflate 2 mtb tyres or a road tyre up to 130psi. I use the glueless patches if I have time on the MTB tubes but carry 2 spare road tubes and simply straight swap them. A saddle bag/pouch is a favourite but everyone tailors what they have in them accordingley. I started with a stores worth of kit in mine but with bits of advice have steadily thinned it out now to a multitool and 2 tubes and 2 tyre levers.
Try not to get held up on speed and distance. The road cycling position is different and will get your body to ache in new places but after a few good rides will adapt. I started doing 15 milers, then 20 milers, then 30 milers and jumped upto 50 milers, without problems but averaged about 15-16 mph. might be worth considering click in shoes on a road bike though. Don't know if you have used these on the MTB but you will notice a difference, it make you feel part of the bike and is more responsive. hope this helps and join us roadies:bicycle::hyper:

Top Bottom