Road bikes - Disc Brakes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MikeW-71

Veteran
Discs on my CX, and I wouldn't be without them. They just work, every time, and grotty roads don't destroy rims. My next "best" road bike will have hydraulic discs on it.

OP
OP
Louch

Louch

105% knowledge on 105
The Agree is a cracking looking bike. I was hoping to get the exact same model in for a test ride before Christmas but alas, as you say, not available yet. If you've set your heart on it, it's probably worth waiting for.
Week 17 of the year is my quote on when available. Just leaves little window to bed in which is the worry :sad:

Andrew_P

In between here and there
Just don't flinch at the price tag..

upload_2016-1-3_20-15-46.png

RichardB

Slightly retro
The Dawes has mechanical discs and the Wisper has hydraulic. Neither are road bikes, of course, but they are the first bikes I have had with discs and I am well impressed. I can't see myself going back to rim brakes. Clean, quiet, easily modulated, and totally unaffected by rain or road crap. The slight weight penalty is worth it in all normal riding, for me at least. The Tektro hydraulics on the electric bike have a lot to do (26kg bike, 90 kg rider and a 25% hill down to a blind junction every day) but they inspire total confidence.

Whilst I can understand the reasoning behind disc brakes, aesthetically I think they look terrible, obviously this is subjective. On the practical side I have never had a problem stopping in any situation I have encountered to date. For me bikes should be about about minimalism and less bling. I am turning into retro man.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
The technology is there so why not use it. New dsic brake sets are no longer that much heavier then rim brakes.
I run both at the moment. My commuter has disc brakes and they are unbeatable in the wet. Discs also save on rim wear. I was going through wheel rims at a rate of a pair every 18 months. My leisure bike is very close to needing rims replacing too which is going to cost a fair penny.

Andrew_P

I am a convert and I can see me having one of the 2016-2017 crop of lightweight Disc road bikes for summer use and selling off my Cannondale Super Six. I have a GT grade for winter. They are just so fire and forget not touched the brakes in a 1000 miles no grey sludge on me or my wheels. Wheels are in the same condition as they were 1000 miles ago only a bit muddy. If I had a bit of spare dosh it wouldn't bother me spending £££'s on a disc wheelset as it would be a long term investment wouldn't have to "save them" for summer or dry miles as long as it had easy to service hubs. Then just add the seamless braking in all conditions no adjusting the bite point has stayed the same.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
The technology is there so why not use it. New dsic brake sets are no longer that much heavier then rim brakes.
I run both at the moment. My commuter has disc brakes and they are unbeatable in the wet. Discs also save on rim wear. I was going through wheel rims at a rate of a pair every 18 months. My leisure bike is very close to needing rims replacing too which is going to cost a fair penny.
One set of my disc wheelsets didn't leave much change from £800, I wouldn't have spent anywhere close on a rim brake set.

Brake discs and pads can be replaced for less than £50. No brainer to me

Andrew_P

That Focus Izalco Max has a claimed weight of 6.8kg (4.5k though!) and claims to be the lightest Disc Road bike. I think this year and 2017 we will see all the major brands launching their race geometry bikes with a lightweight hydro disc version.

Top Bottom