Road bikes - Disc Brakes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
I had a chance to ride the Focus Izalco Max Disc last August - did a 200km audax on it. Incredibly quick bike, even with me on it. I found it just urged me to push on, and so I did. Until my legs gave out...

Not sure I would buy one, even if I could afford it - being an old duffer rather than a lithe racing whippet, the Domane is probably more suitable for me. It's certainly more comfortable.

RichardB

Slightly retro
Whilst I can understand the reasoning behind disc brakes, aesthetically I think they look terrible, obviously this is subjective. On the practical side I have never had a problem stopping in any situation I have encountered to date. For me bikes should be about about minimalism and less bling. I am turning into retro man.
Thing is, I agree - bikes should be simple, straightforward and as elegant as possible. Disc brakes fit with that ethos very well, for me. There's nothing intrinsically bling about a caliper and small disc, compared to a rim brake, except that one is traditional and the other isn't. As for minimalism and functionality, what is wrong with leaving the rim to do its job of holding up the tyre, and confining wear to a couple of easily-replaced components? For me, discs are in keeping with a simple and clean design philosophy but, as you say, it's all subjective.

Andrew_P

In between here and there
I had a chance to ride the Focus Izalco Max Disc last August - did a 200km audax on it. Incredibly quick bike, even with me on it. I found it just urged me to push on, and so I did. Until my legs gave out...

Not sure I would buy one, even if I could afford it - being an old duffer rather than a lithe racing whippet, the Domane is probably more suitable for me. It's certainly more comfortable.
You sound like me, only I would buy it! ^_^ (If I had the cash) Even more so now you reviewed it. I have my old duffer bike the GT Grade with mudguards and hydro discs, I just need an unsuitable bike to look a tosser on in the summer!

As a side note how comes you get all these test rides? It might quell my urges if I got to ride different bikes..

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
That Focus Izalco Max has a claimed weight of 6.8kg (4.5k though!) and claims to be the lightest Disc Road bike. I think this year and 2017 we will see all the major brands launching their race geometry bikes with a lightweight hydro disc version.
Lightest production bike. Focus brought a money-no-object version along to the launch (Schmolke finishing kit, THM cranks, Tune saddle) and that was a fraction over 6kg. And there's plenty of scope for disc bikes to get lighter still. CarbonSports are working on the first Lightweight brand disc brake wheels.... Some people still don't get discs, or anything vaguely resembling comfort features. Cervelo have just launched the C5 & S5 endurance disc bikes (lightest version seven kilos- and that's with Di2) and there was a comment on BR about how 'manufacturers are slowing them down with disks, fat tyres and touring geometry. It will be steel again next'. :wacko: I love my Viner, always will, but the Litespeed gives absolutely nothing away in terms of speed or efficiency, despite currently being on 35mm wired tyres instead of 23 & 25 mm, the (slightly) increased frame weight (it is Ti after all), the comfort level is much the same and it would happily tackle terrain a regular road bike just couldn't manage. The way some talk you'd have think I just bought a BSO......:smile:

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Lightest production bike. Focus brought a money-no-object version along to the launch (Schmolke finishing kit, THM cranks, Tune saddle) and that was a fraction over 6kg. And there's plenty of scope for disc bikes to get lighter still.

Yeah, given that you can get (non-disc) road bikes under 5kg now, but the UCI limit remains 6.8kg, weight isn't really a significant factor, though it makes a good headline.

'manufacturers are slowing them down with disks, fat tyres and touring geometry. It will be steel again next'. :wacko:

Why not? I'm sure it won't be long before the marketing departments cotton on to the idea.

Andrew_P

In between here and there
Oh, you know, friends in high places... can be frustrating though - got my hands on a Pinarello Gan Disk the other day but wasn't allowed to ride it.
:-) it hasn't gone unnoticed! Having thought about I am not sure it would reverse my purchasing lust, in fact it would definitely accelerate it.

Montydog

20160103_102406.jpg

my new bike has disc brakes....love it!:okay:

Drago

Legendary Member
I suspect the fence May have mainly toppled over in a couple of years as discs become more commonplace. It'll be like 26" runs on MTBs, now mainly confined to the cheaper end of the market.

jay clock

Massive member
My new Ribble CR3 with hydro discs is proving excellent. Braking is out of the mucky zone, and rims are no longer leaking black ink all over the floor (keep bike indoors). Conversely I also just replaced my "summer" bike and that I went for calipers

The biggest issue now is that whereas the market for wheels in the past few years was Campag vs Shimano, it now includes 11 speed vs 8-10 speed, disc/non disc, axle width, disc mounting type, QR type and possibly other variables. Good for wheel salesman but now I need a cheap turbo wheel making it very expensive and hard to find

Top Bottom