Road closure Bealach na Ba

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
The Bealach na Ba will be closed 8AM to 5PM on 25th June for a triathlon event.
Info comes from Highland Council.

Edit There is a change to the announcement and closure is now given as 0500 until 0800.
Confusion reigns so better check their website independently if going that way.

Last edited:

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
@oldwheels thanks for the useful info - not that I could ever aim to do the climb myself lol
Would you like to also post it on the Irn Bru thread? :smooch:

OP
OP
oldwheels

oldwheels

Legendary Member
It is a bit of a detour to avoid it! :whistle:

A pal of mine did the Applecross loop and said it was one of the finest rides that he had ever done. I would like to tackle it but feel like time is running out.

It is a while since I was that way, certainly before NC500 got "invented" but the Bealach was a diversion rather than the direct route. I should really look at a map to confirm that but not just at the moment.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
It is a bit of a detour to avoid it! :whistle:

A pal of mine did the Applecross loop and said it was one of the finest rides that he had ever done. I would like to tackle it but feel like time is running out.

I have very vague nascent plans for next year to get up to W Scotland. It will probably come to nothing. I'm 60 next year and it's one of very many cycling ideas that I'm pondering.

iandg

Legendary Member
It is a while since I was that way, certainly before NC500 got "invented" but the Bealach was a diversion rather than the direct route. I should really look at a map to confirm that but not just at the moment.

Likewise, a long time ago and pre NC500. It was an ACF/Cycling+ forum weekend at Torridon YH in 2005

2040003408_ea1961c762_e.jpg

2040003392_334045ff88_e.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
oldwheels

oldwheels

Legendary Member
You will find it by clicking the blue text: Irn Bru thread

Done.

Twilkes

Guru
I'm due to ride it 17th July, whatever the weather, as part of a Strathcarron loop up to the Ullapool turning and back via Garve. Looking forward to it. :smile:

Twilkes

Guru
I've ridden it in both directions - but maybe not. Pre-Strava so only have the notes in my diaries as proof :laugh:

The only thing I wouldn't be sure of is descending down to the east with all the corners and hairpins, I hate climbing a hill and then not getting a clear run down the other side. I'll be heading up it at 6am so hopefully not encountering any traffic coming the other way, the descent to Applecross is meant to be quite gentle.

Re 'whatever the weather', only thing I would be mindful of is windspeed, apparently it can be quite dangerous near the top.

Top Bottom