Road conditions !!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

noddy63

Hi all
Just back from a pleasant if not windy ride and I have to say that as a motorcycle rider I thought the condition of roads in my area ( York ) were bad, but as for going out on my cycle I cannot believe just how bad the roads are. Understand that there is money to increase cycle routes around the city / area, I would suggest it would be better spent making good what we have, so a least you have a chance to stay upright !!

Brandane

Legendary Member
And York is supposedly one of the best areas in the UK when it comes to cycle facilities. I have limited experience of cycling in York, but I have passed through twice on separate WOTR rides, and on another occasion spent a few days at a B&B just north of York doing days out on the bike from there. I thought it was cyclist paradise compared to some other parts of the UK.. I might get into trouble for naming names of some places I prefer not to cycle in, but the worst starts with LON and ends in don... :okay:

OP
OP
N

noddy63

Very true, as I work down there regularly I wouldn't fancy cycling on either the roads or traffic.

Joffey

Big Dosser
I lived in York 4 years ago and the roads were dreadful then. I don't know why but they seem far worse than the surrounding areas. Maybe something to do with City of York Council being separate from North Yorkshire County Council?

Sharky

Guru
And York is supposedly one of the best areas in the UK when it comes to cycle facilities. I have limited experience of cycling in York, but I have passed through twice on separate WOTR rides, and on another occasion spent a few days at a B&B just north of York doing days out on the bike from there. I thought it was cyclist paradise compared to some other parts of the UK.. I might get into trouble for naming names of some places I prefer not to cycle in, but the worst starts with LON and ends in don... :okay:
Thanks for the tip. Will avoid cycling through Long Crendon.

Drago

Legendary Member
Hi all
Just back from a pleasant if not windy ride and I have to say that as a motorcycle rider I thought the condition of roads in my area ( York ) were bad, but as for going out on my cycle I cannot believe just how bad the roads are. Understand that there is money to increase cycle routes around the city / area, I would suggest it would be better spent making good what we have, so a least you have a chance to stay upright !!
I have often said they should stop spending money on traffic calming, which rarely works properly and is inevitably eventually removed or modified anyway, and spend it repairing the roads. these are the same councils that are reluctant to spend cash on cycling infrastructure until there is a demonstrated demand for it, yet they're happy to spend money on traffic calming that no one wants.

And another thing that grinds my gears. I recently reported a pothole - not terrible big, but ruddy deep and right on the line a 2 wheeled road user would take. They declined to repair it because it didn't meet their made up criteria (for which their is no legislation). So they left it, and within a month it was 2 metres across and required proper roadworks to repair. If they'd done what they were supposed to have done in the first place they'd have saved a fortune. Penny wise, pound foolish.

My BiL is a civil engineer working for a highways department, and he despairs at the attitude of the contractor. He tells me they're very quick to bleat about budgets and make up all sorts of non statutory rules and guidelines to avoid doing any repairs, but are very happy to make a nice profit out of not repairing anything.

Top Bottom