Road Cycling Survey

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dalmon45

We are high school students, currently involved in a project, for a class called Engineering Design and Development in the Project Lead The Way magnet Program. This is our problem statement. Wearing headphones while riding a bike on the road limits the rider’s hearing of his/her surroundings. Due to restricted hearing there is an increased danger of being hit or hitting unseen obstructions(ie. Cars). If you could take a short amount of time to fill out this information that would be fantastic.

http://goo.gl/forms/Scz3pSJ1pR

Thank You.
Miles Blakesley
David Salmon

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Done.
Your assumption that it is dangerous to wear headphones seems to assume that:
- earbuds stop other noise entering the ear (they don't)
- people play their music so loud they cannot hear anything else (I don't)

I don't see the need for a specific product when all you need to do is to turn the volume down...

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Done.
You've made some assumptions that cycling is dangerous if listening to music. It's not. People don't necessarily listen to music really loudly. I for one wear bone conduction headphones so can hear my surroundings. A friend of mine is profoundly deaf and cycles everywhere. He hears a lot less than I do when I am wearing headphones and nobody has suggested that he is in danger.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Done.
You've made some assumptions that cycling is dangerous if listening to music. It's not. People don't necessarily listen to music really loudly. I for one wear bone conduction headphones so can hear my surroundings. A friend of mine is profoundly deaf and cycles everywhere. He hears a lot less than I do when I am wearing headphones and nobody has suggested that he is in danger.
I mentioned deaf people too!:thumbsup:

Berk on a Bike

Veteran
I filled it in. Personally I wouldn't wear headphones or ear buds while cycling. I just wouldn't feel comfortable reducing aural input, but each to their own.

Is this survey angling towards conduction earphones or suchlike? Coz, like, it's been done.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Survey completed.

I didn't like the question:
When you are walking around or riding a bike do you listen to music through headphones or earbuds?

This should either have the walking around element removed or be split into two separate questions, one for walking, one for riding. I wear them while walking but not while riding so couldn't answer that accurately.

Is this statement based on evidence?
Due to restricted hearing there is an increased danger of being hit(ie. Cars)

GC

OP
OP
D

Dalmon45

Survey completed.

I didn't like the question:
When you are walking around or riding a bike do you listen to music through headphones or earbuds?

This should either have the walking around element removed or be split into two separate questions, one for walking, one for riding. I wear them while walking but not while riding so couldn't answer that accurately.

Is this statement based on evidence?
Due to restricted hearing there is an increased danger of being hit(ie. Cars)

GC
Yes the statement is based on evidence. Mainly from credible websites such as the CDC or other health and safety institutions

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Yes the statement is based on evidence. Mainly from credible websites such as the CDC or other health and safety institutions
When you say 'evidence' - do you mean just that 'the CDC said so', or are there actually accident statistics that demonstrate what you are claiming.
The former is not evidence...

If you have based your claims on evidence, how about some links so the rest of us can look at the evidence?

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
done. music is not for me but just as much because I like the sounds of the world and being a part of it generally, as the notion of hearing the heavy metal machines sneaking up behind me.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless

Could you cite the evidence? I've searched the CDC site and can only find general guidance to riders not to wear headphones, not any evidence of increased risk of being struck by other vehicles.

GC

Top Bottom