Road/gravel bike with triple crank

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Road/ gravel bikes with a triple crank. Are they still available? I know Spa cycles supply them. Is there any body else?

They are not easy to find now.

hoopdriver

Guru
St John Street Cycles has some triple cranksets, but you’re right. They are scarce now. I’ve always had triples on my touring bikes, and still do, and like them, but they are deeply unfashionable these days.

I think you can still get triples in Shimanos cheaper groupsets but no longer in 105....its a shame as I like always being in the right cadence with them.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Evans sell Jamis Aurora tourers with triples and bar end shifters.

Not sure you could call it a "gravel bike" but comes with reynolds 520 frame robust wheels and 32c tyres. I think you could get 38 c on but havent tried.

I have had one for about 4 years have used it mostly for commuting and done a few 200km audaxes on it.
Had to bin the saddle but everything else on the bike works very well.Most comfortable bike I ever rode.Not light (about 13kg) low gearing gets you up hills and superb handling lets you descend quickly.

Canti brakes need carefull setting up and softer blocks than those supplied.

Last edited:
Afew years ago Shimano would only make triples, not compact doubles. Now they will only make compact doubles not triples for 105! Any colour as long as it is black.

vickster

Legendary Member
Buy the frame you want? The parts you want? Build/get bike built?
Spa will do that with their Elan for example

si_c

Guru
Buy the frame you want? The parts you want? Build/get bike built?
Spa will do that with their Elan for example
Best option really. Either that or change groupset.

On a side note, if you're looking for lower gearing, have looked at the Felt VR series? It's a double admittedly, but with subcompact gearing. I'm pairing s 48/32 with a 11/34, but plenty of space for a 36 if needed. Changing the crankset for a 46/30 might also give you that low end. I don't race so the loss of the top end doesn't bother me.

Maenchi

StoneDog
10sp xt triple, worth a google, I bought one earlier this year at a well reduced price, I figured because they're not trendy/'deeply unfashionable', i'd give more details but the receipt is lost in my emails:smile:

Last edited:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
It isn't necessarily difficult to modify a bike to suit your needs ...

My old CAAD5 road bike was overgeared for me on the steeper hills round here. My lowest gear was 39/29. I bought a triple chainset from Spa Cycles and changed the cassette when the old one wore out. I now have a much more ramp-friendly 28/30 bottom gear.

Some time later I bought a CAADX cyclo-cross bike. I had the same problem with that ... 36/30 was too high a bottom gear for me. I changed the little ring to a 34, the rear mech to a mountain bike one to handle bigger sprockets, and the cassette to a 12-36 so my bottom gear is now 34/36.

I had a Kaffenback that needed to undergo a major refitting to get pressed into service as a triple tourer.
Far more expensive and frustrating than it had any right to be - in the end it needed bar end shifters for the front and a mountain bike mech for the rear, because apparently no-one ever rides road bikes uphill with a touring load. Would have worked out far cheaper to buy an off-the-peg tourer.

Thanks, Shimano.

Top Bottom