Road / MTB pedals

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

big al 83

Is there any reason why road pedals are so different to mtb pedals? Is it tha,t due to their size, you can put more power through them?

subaqua

What’s the point
Is there any reason why road pedals are so different to mtb pedals? Is it tha,t due to their size, you can put more power through them?

I always thought it was the cleat difference. the last road bike i had ( a very long time ago)had pedals that took cleats that stood out and looked like fortune cookies. my current MTB has pedals that accept a "recessed cleat"

I might be wrong .

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
Road pedals accept a large cleat that stands proud of the sole of the shoe, MTB cleats are designed to be inset into the shoe.

The road shoes give a big contact point between shoe and pedal, this may help to increase power (althoughI tend to think the stiffness of the shoe has more bearing here), and also to reduce the chances of "hot foot", a burning sensation on the base of the foor (occasionally) caused by the small contact point of mtb shoes.

MTB shoes generally have a recessed cleat and a sole with a tread so you can get off and push when the mud gets too deep.

Either system works well - although I'm not sure i'd want to go offroading in a pair of SPD-SL road shoes :smile:

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
There must be some science/history that isn't marketing BS but anecdotally I'd suggest road shoes/cleats came first, were found woefully lacking for off road use, especially if you get off the bike, and so mtb shoes/cleats were born.

Snake oil salesmen will tell you dreadful things will happen if you ride long distances on road in mtb shoes on mtb pedals, primarily because the shoe pedal interface has a bit more slack in it than with road shoe/pedals Clearly I'm not trying hard enough and don't yet ride far enough as I've done 250km without problem. But I also steer well clear of ill fitting shoes which might have more to do with it.

aberal

Guru
It's presupposed that you will get on and off an MTB bike during a slog up a hill and that once you're on a road (race) bike you stay on for the duration of the ride. MTB pedals are two sided to allow you to get your feet back in them more easily if/when you come off. It's virtually impossible to do that toe flip thing to get the pedal the right way up when you're heading up hill in a foot of mud. Unless you are actually racing your road bike then there is no reason why you shouldn't use MTB shoes and pedals for commuting/touring/general fitness riding. They're easier to walk in because they have treads and easier to clip into.

montage

God Almighty
Not sure I'd agree about mtb pedals being easier to slip into, but that is a whole new can of worms.

I'd say road pedals feel more secure when in due to size, whether this transfers into performance I have no proof, but everybody I know who has tried both on road prefers the road system

OP
OP
B

big al 83

Thanks for your comments guys, very helpfull.

I think I'll try some road shoes and pedals. If I don't like them I can always put my mtb pedals on.

jay clock

Massive member
I did a 180km Ironman bike course with my Specialized mtb shoes and M520 pedals and not a single problem. Have just got some new tri specific shoes with Look Keo pedals and whilst smart I not convinced I will notice a huge difference

OP
OP
B

big al 83

Thats what I'm worried about. Spending upwards of £100 to find they're no better.
The one thing that does worry me is the fact they're single sided, making clipping in a tad more difficult.

davidaw

I went from MTB to Road clips and happy I did. The connection to pedals is far more secure and more comfortable IMHO. Pull stroke is far stronger without the play you get with MTB systems I have used.

The pedals I use now are SpeedPlay Zeros which are double sided.

Top Bottom