Road Racing - Helmets?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
+1 Pedestrians account for more fatalities (fourfold) than cyclists, so where are their helmets and arm/knee pads?

While TT helmets are primarily for aerodynamic benefit, many of the older ones used in Britain under CTT regulations are actually just aerodynamic fairings offering no protection whatsoever. More modern offerings which must be used by the pros do meet EN1078 safety standards. Bald time triallists may actually derive more benefit from not wearing a helmet.

TT was probably the one near Newport (U7B) - nice road that.

EN1078 helmets are banned for racing in the US as they are not deemed to offer adequate protection!

Will1985

Über Member
EN1078 helmets are banned for racing in the US as they are not deemed to offer adequate protection!
Very true - I think the CPSC standard specifies a slightly heavier weight or velocity when testing helmets.
My Giro Advantage 2 from 2008 is CPSC certified, but Advantages before this date were banned in the US as they didn't protect as much...the difference in the amount of polystyrene when comparing the two is pretty obvious.
The strange thing is, the Specialized TT02 feels flimsier than the Advantage yet it passes the supposedly more stringent Snell standard.

oldroadman

Veteran
Very true - I think the CPSC standard specifies a slightly heavier weight or velocity when testing helmets.
My Giro Advantage 2 from 2008 is CPSC certified, but Advantages before this date were banned in the US as they didn't protect as much...the difference in the amount of polystyrene when comparing the two is pretty obvious.
The strange thing is, the Specialized TT02 feels flimsier than the Advantage yet it passes the supposedly more stringent Snell standard.

The odd thing in all this is that none of the "safety" helmets are designed to cope with a race speed impact anyway!
It strikes me as bizarre that in past days when no helmet or leather "hairnet" types were in use, we didn't seem to get any more head injuries. Only fear of litigation has sent us down the hardshell route - thanks Bell and US lawyers.
You see a little old lady on a shopper bike going down the road in a helmet and smile, thinking "why?", then realise tat the kind of accident she may have is what the thing is designed for - maybe.
Most of continental europe would laugh at the idea of wearing a helmet to potter off to the shops, and how right they are.

Midnight

I found this page whilst looking for a definition of the EN1078 standards. It gives a breakdown of the various standards used for cycle helmets worldwide, and some of the testing procedures, including the European EN1078 standard, and the various American Snell standards.

It's from an American site that calls itself the Bicycle Helmet Standards Institute. I've no idea if they are a recognised body or not, and please don't infer any endorsement from me. Make of this site what you will.

I found this page whilst looking for a definition of the EN1078 standards. It gives a breakdown of the various standards used for cycle helmets worldwide, and some of the testing procedures, including the European EN1078 standard, and the various American Snell standards.

It's from an American site that calls itself the Bicycle Helmet Standards Institute. I've no idea if they are a recognised body or not, and please don't infer any endorsement from me. Make of this site what you will.

BHSI are a pro helmet group in the States, but have an excellent site with lots of information. Well worth reading through.

When it comes down to establishing who they are they are quite clear

Top Bottom