Road Racing - Helmets?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ChrisBD

Driving down the A38 between Glos and Bristol yesterday there was a club race taking place with signage and event marshalls at roundabouts etc.

We saw plenty of riders in all maner of helmets from old Met's with canvas covers to fancy track helmets; but what stood out was two riders (older) not wearing lids, one was bare headed the other in an old school peaked cycle cap - are lids not mandatory in such events?

Young Un

Was it a Time trial (individual race) or was it a road race (riding in a bunch)? If it's the former, 18 year olds and over do not have to wear a helmet unless stated in the entry conditions. In bunch races, helmets are compulsory.

OP
OP
ChrisBD

ChrisBD

Was it a Time trial (individual race) or was it a road race (riding in a bunch)? If it's the former, 18 year olds and over do not have to wear a helmet unless stated in the entry conditions. In bunch races, helmets are compulsory.

Thanks; prety sure it was a TT. Was surprised to see riders out without lids. As an MTBer I would not consider riding out without a lid.

I'm a member of an MTB club; on club rides our primary rule is "no lid, no ride". I've been thinking of joining our local road cycling club with a view to building endurance for a multi day MTB race next year, and would have been shocked had I seen riders with no lids.

Is there some logic with regards the ruling for TT's?

frank9755

Cyclist
Thanks; prety sure it was a TT. Was surprised to see riders out without lids. As an MTBer I would not consider riding out without a lid.

I'm a member of an MTB club; on club rides our primary rule is "no lid, no ride". I've been thinking of joining our local road cycling club with a view to building endurance for a multi day MTB race next year, and would have been shocked had I seen riders with no lids.

Is there some logic with regards the ruling for TT's?

If you accept that cycling on a road on your own (not in a bunch) is a pretty safe thing to do - which it is - then the logic is that there is no need to impose what may be unnecessary constraints on the riders.

Riding off-road and racing in a bunch are quite different activities with different risks and far more frequent falls and crashes. Someone may feel it is sensible to wear a helmet for one activity but not another.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I'm shocked that someone was shocked to see time trialists without a helmet. Not so long ago when there were no helmets and considerably more people rode TTs there is no record of mass carnage having occurred.

Are helmets compulsory in professional race time trials like the tdf? Or do the pointy funny shaped helmets provide such an aero advantage that it makes sense to wear them anyway?

montage

God Almighty
Are helmets compulsory in professional race time trials like the tdf? Or do the pointy funny shaped helmets provide such an aero advantage that it makes sense to wear them anyway?

aero advantage I believe.
Helmets have to be used in Road races and triathlons, but not in Time trials

montage

God Almighty
On second thoughts, I think they are cumpulsory in the TDF, otherwise riders wouldn't wear them for mountain TTs - which I know they did for the giro d'italia

Helmets (and fire proof overalls) are compulsory in motor racing events, I am shocked to see so many motorists on our roads without them!

Will1985

Über Member
Helmets (and fire proof overalls) are compulsory in motor racing events, I am shocked to see so many motorists on our roads without them!
+1 Pedestrians account for more fatalities (fourfold) than cyclists, so where are their helmets and arm/knee pads?

While TT helmets are primarily for aerodynamic benefit, many of the older ones used in Britain under CTT regulations are actually just aerodynamic fairings offering no protection whatsoever. More modern offerings which must be used by the pros do meet EN1078 safety standards. Bald time triallists may actually derive more benefit from not wearing a helmet.

TT was probably the one near Newport (U7B) - nice road that.

OP
OP
ChrisBD

ChrisBD

Guys thanks for the replies and explanations.

....and for the sarcastic answers too, i'll be sure to keep my questions to myself from now on for fear shocking anyone.......!

Keith Oates

Janner
ChrisBD, don't be put off by some of the replies they are really meant as jokes because there have been some heated Helmet " debates" on here in the past of which you are unaware. Keep posting and just join in the fun and if any comments seem a bit off just ignore them.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

montage

God Almighty
Everybody loves MacB !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Top Bottom